Chest Freezer for Primary Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhommedieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recommendations for a 5-7 cubic foot chest freezer? I'd like to make a fermenter container capable of holding at least two 6.5 gallon carboys, using a Johnson thermostat unit.

Best,

Steve

You will need at least a 7 cubic foot chest freezer. I have a 5 for fermentation and a 7 Keezer. You can not fit 2 6.5 carboys in the 5. I heard you could put one on the hump if you don't use the airlock, but I just checked and my bucket is too tall. I would size the 7 to make sure 2 6.5s fit. It is the hump for the compressor that makes it hard. However, in my experience, unless you are doing 10 gallon batches or a lot of lagers, you don't need 2 at a time. You can move most beers to room temp after 3-5 days, so I just move it to a closet if I need the fermentor space.

Home Depot has a 7 cubic foot chest freezer on sale, right now, for $158 (posted in other threads). Bring a carboy (or two if possible) with you so that you can test-fit with the display model before buying it (check with the people at HD first, leave them in your vehicle until then). If they also sell the 5 gallon water bottles there, you could have them test fit with those. Just get a height measurement of your carboy, with airlock in it, to see if you'll have clearance. Of course, you could also use one of the dry airlocks, but chances are you'll need at least some more clearance for when you need to use a blow-off tube assembly.

Success! Thanks for your help.

I have a 7.1 cu ft freezer from Sam's Club. I think the name starts w/'H' and is made in China. Can't get a 6.5 bucket in it w/air lock. perhaps if you just blow off tubes it would work. I know I can fit 1 5 gallon bucket w/air lock but have never tried to put in two side by side. I use 2 gallon buckets and can fit 5 by stacking.

Back