Concord grape juice wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
Haven't made anything in a while and since I thought I'd try something on a budget that I've seen some decent reviews for, a Welch's grape juice wine. I was at the store and planned on getting Welch's juice (in the jug) but the generic brand right next to it was like half the price. Bad idea?
Anyway the concord grape juice has no preservatives, I bought some white grape juice also, and it does have potassium meta-bisulfite listed. I didn't know it and I only looked at the concord, assuming they'd be the same (mistake). I bought 6 jugs of concord and 2 jugs of the white grape. So my questions are:

1) What is the likely hood of slow to stuck fermentation using a small amount of juice that has K-Meta in it?

2) I was actually thinking of doing a Blackberry-Concord wine but the prices of frozen berries were like $5 per pound, but I can get them at work cheap. What If I add 10lbs of frozen blackberries, would you notice that flavor much compared to the concord?

3) The generics didn't specifically state Concord and Niagara grape juice, like the Welch's brand did. Again I was assuming since they are the popular choice for juice. Think that's a problem?

1) The companies normally put the minimum in their juice to preserve it to save money. So if you dilute it down with other juice you should be fine.

2) I'd say no. Blackberries have a very light flavor and it takes quite a bit to really come through. That might lend some tartness for sure though. But I don't think it would be identifiable as blackberry.

3) Since this is wine on a budget... nope, no worries. :)

4) Have you checked out Yoopers Welch's Concentrate Wine?

1) The companies normally put the minimum in their juice to preserve it to save money. So if you dilute it down with other juice you should be fine.

2) I'd say no. Blackberries have a very light flavor and it takes quite a bit to really come through. That might lend some tartness for sure though. But I don't think it would be identifiable as blackberry.

3) Since this is wine on a budget... nope, no worries. :)

4) Have you checked out Yoopers Welch's Concentrate Wine?

I did look at her recipe, it was one of the ideas that actually helped to decide to do it, but the grocery store was completely out of frozen concentrate juice so I had to go with the jugs. Who's drinking that much grape juice? Maybe just alot of people following Yooper's recipe?
I get the frozen fruit from US Foodservice and I think they're 20lb boxes, think that would be enough to fight the concord flavor? If not I'll buy the fruit and add some Zin concentrate for a dry wine.

How many lbs of sugar do you use when making 5 gal batch of wine useing concentrate....or fruit juice...welches I put in 10 lbs..whats up ????

Last edited:
Back