100% brett fermentation...sulphur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcolson916

Reaction score
Hi everyone, looking for some expert advice.

In May 7, 2015 I made a 100% brett beer using Brett Brux. The grain bill was 80% pils and 20% wheat. We made a starter over 2 weeks, about 600mL in an erlenmeyer flask under sanitized procedures. OG was 1.058 and by May 17 (10 days) it was down to 1.018. It fermented at 20-21C.

I tasted it....sulphur on the nose, sulphur on the tongue. Not good.

I decided to let it sit. Now its been 4 months, the sulphur is still there, but also some of the brett funk. Still, too much sulphur and not drinkable.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of the sulphur? Do I just ride it out and hope it's salvageable? Where did I go wrong?

Is it kegged? I thought I read about some brewers letting sulphur dissipate and bleeding it off over time.

How close is it to final gravity? Could you pitch some sacc to try and clean it up? Maybe blend it with a sacc beer that is pretty early on in the fermentation to try and blow off some of the sulfur?

I'll admit that I haven't tried my own sour batch yet, just throwing some ideas out there. Could the sulfur have come from not a vigorous enough boil on the pilsner malt?

I would add anoher strain of brett or some dregs from your favorite wild beers. The variety of strains and bugs should help clean it up IME

Good advice all around, thanks. I think I'll add some dregs and see what happens. I'll report back.

just be sure the dregs are brett only in terms of wild stuff unless you want to make it a sour. My first brett beer ended up being a full on sour. Turned out well, but not what I was intending

Latest posts

Back