My GF says she wants it Doggie Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reezle

Reaction score
So asked my girlfriend what her favorite beer is, told her she could pick any style from anywhere in the world... She tells the story of visiting the Woody Creek Brewpub in Colorado back in '92 and getting it Doggie Style (Flying Dog Ales). The company moved off to the east coast later, but I was wondering if anyone knew a good recipe that was true to the original.

I see lots of discussion (quite a few threads on this site even) but was just wondering what your favorite recipe for this brew was.

(Also couldn't pass up the opportunity to write that headline)

Ah, I see whatcha did there. Well played, you!

Flying Dog makes some good beers. There's a lot of home brew recipes out their for their beer, if I had to choose one to start, I'd go with the CYBI recipe for Ragin' B!tch.

A very good suggestion, but when my SO asks me for Doggie Style, I think the ONLY appropriate response is "Yes Ma'am"
(Let me know how that Ragin' ***** works out for you, though... haha)

OK, Serious questions, though... American 2-Row or Belgian Pilsner?
(All-Grain here, I have 50lbs of two-row kicking around, but if it would make a difference, I'd go buy 10lbs loose Pilsner to make a closer match to the original brew)

Yeast: Safale US-05, American Ale 1056, or is it worth it to shop around for Wyeast 1737 Flying Dog Ale?

Here's what I'm looking at so far: (But I've seen variations with 2-Row as well)
9.95 lbs Belgian Pilsner 2-Row
1.30 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L
Mash at 152°
1.20 oz Northern Brewer 60 min
1.70 oz Cascade 1 min
Ferment at 68°
1.50 oz Cascade Dry-Hop for 1-Week after Primary Fermentation

Anyone here have a recipe that they've actually made, and would swear by?
The other recipe I saw had slightly different grains:
10.3 lbs 2-Row
17 oz Crystal 90L
1.8 oz Chocolate

I know the Clone Brews 2nd edition, has a recipe, but I dont have the book on me right now.

Thanks, very good to know...
My copy is across the street at my neighbors house the last month or two. I should get it back and see what they say. (most everything I've brewed out of that book has been spot-on)

Neighbor is amiss, so no chance to peek at my book I loaned him.

I went with the Pilsner 2-Row, the Crystal 120, and threw in about 3/4 ounce of chocolate just to hedge my bets. Nobody local seems to sell Wyest 1737, so I went with the Safale US-05. (Only the second time I've used a dry yeast in beer.. The guy at the HBS tells me dry yeast has come a long ways in the last twenty years.)

If I get good results, I'll let you know!

Beer!.jpg

Doggy Style
OG 1.058-1.059 FG 1.015-1.016
11.25 2 row pale malt
4 oz. 120L american crystal
mash 90 min at 153F
90 min boil
3/4 oz northen brewer at 90 min
1/2 oz cascade at 15 min
3/4 oz centenntial at 15 min
1 oz cascade at 2 min
1 oz cascade dry hop
wyeast 1187 ringwood 1st choice
wyeast 1084 irish ale 2nd choice

I have not made this, just giving you what my book says

Thanks Lechien! Quite a bit different than either of the other two recipes I saw... I'll have to get her judgement on this batch and make yours next time...

Exactly right or not, we're looking forward to enjoying a little doggie style in the coming weeks.

You could always try Rodeo Style.....Mount up and tell her your OTHER girl friend really likes it this way...and see if you can hang on for 8 seconds!

Good luck getting help from the brewery.

I had no problem getting a critique from the head brewer at flying dog about my snake dog ipa. he responded the very next day. he was very helpfull

Back