Supplication dregs and WLP655 Sour Blend Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbarnumboy

Reaction score
Should i make a starter for my WLP655 sour blend? Will the Brett be OK getting all the oxygen of the stir plate?

Also should i make my supplication dregs in a separate starter and pitch it separate from the WLP655? Or can i just make a starter with the supplication dregs and WLP655 together?

I haven't used WLP655 before, but have used Wyeast 3278, another blend. I didn't make a starter with that and my lambic turned out great after about 3 years.

As far as the supplication dregs, what are you planning on pitching in that?

Also should i make my supplication dregs in a separate starter and pitch it separate from the WLP655? Or can i just make a starter with the supplication dregs and WLP655 together?

I'm curious to know the answer to his question also. As I'm about to make a supplication clone next weekend.

I am making a supplication clone pitching the wlp655 and a starter of the full bill from supplication dregs. Not using one strain but using it all. My question is about the brett, is it bad to use a stir plate giving it all that oxygen?

bbarnumboy said:
Should i make a starter for my WLP655 sour blend? Will the Brett be OK getting all the oxygen of the stir plate?

I'm far from an expert but I would build them up separately. Since the dregs are of a lower cell count than What's in the vial you'll need to build them up to an appropriate level. Also, I'm not sure if the set cell count of what's left in the dregs might lag behind what's in the vial and never really get going in time to propagate.

I would certainly use a stirplate, I put my Brett starters on my stirplate with great results.

This is all just my non scientific opinion though.

I would certainly use a stirplate, I put my Brett starters on my stirplate with great results.

This is all just my non scientific opinion though.

Hey, experience is the best knowledge out there sometimes. If it worked great for you it should for me. Have you ever had any problems with it causing to large of a Pellicle due to the extra oxygen you introduced?

Hey, experience is the best knowledge out there sometimes. If it worked great for you it should for me. Have you ever had any problems with it causing to large of a Pellicle due to the extra oxygen you introduced?

I had a pellicle form in one of my Brett C starters but that was not on a stirplate, I let that one got for about 10 days before pitching. Ive never had too large of a pellicle, the biggest ive seen were about 1 inch bubbles but every pellicle is different so ymmv.

I'm new to Brett beers but have done 3 batches recently and from what I have read and heard you do not want to make a starter for mixed cultures. The reason is that the yeast in there will grow faster than the bugs and will throw off the ratio. Bugs grow slowly and Brett goes through 3 exponential growth phases where as sacc goes through 1. So grow up the Brett and dregs separately giving the brett about 8 days on the stir plate but just pitch the yeast pack. There is a ton of good info from chad yakobson of crooked stave around the web. He was also recently on the brewing network.

How about making a starter on a stirplate using dregs of multiple bottles? I'm guessing this is ok? I had a bottle of JP Calabaza Blanca yesterday and pitched the dregs of that into some 1.030 OD starter wort. It's on the stirplate now. I'm planning on pitching the dregs of a Bockor Bellegems Bruin into the same starter tonight or tomorrow. Sound reasonable?

I have a Temptation "clone" going right now. It's a Golden Strong Ale, fermented with WLP510 in the primary, then a smack pack of Wyeast 3763 and a couple RR bottle dregs from Temptation and Supplication.

Pellicle formed with a month, pretty thick now. Smells AMAZING.

Hope that helps! :mug:

I have a Temptation "clone" going right now. It's a Golden Strong Ale, fermented with WLP510 in the primary, then a smack pack of Wyeast 3763 and a couple RR bottle dregs from Temptation and Supplication.

Pellicle formed with a month, pretty thick now. Smells AMAZING.

Hope that helps! :mug:

Thanks, did you just toss the dregs in without making a starter?

Updating this thread. I pitched my bugs and a few bottles worth of Dregs to the supplication clone 6/1/2012. It has been in the fermenter for 27 months. Just tried it today.

Smells incredible, getting real sour at this point and has dried out pretty well. Already tastes of barrel, funk and cherry. I will be adding the cherries here soon and bottling. So far I really like this recipe. I believe I followed it very closely aside from also adding bottle dregs.

Cheers!

Back