Growing hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roryspa

Reaction score
Does anyone know if people grow their own hops for home brewing. it would kind of make the process yours.
~JOe

yes people do grow there own hops. From what ive read about it is that it takes a growing season or two to get a good crop. I was thinking of having my mom grow me some over the next few years since she has the green thumb, the garden, the time, the patience and she loves me.

right now is the time of year that one would order hop rhizomes for planting after the last frost. thats about all i know.

My rhizones are on the way. Freshops also sells jumbo rhizomes which they say establish quicker and will produce more hops the first year.

They also have a lot of info on growing and harvesting your own hops.

http://www.freshops.com/

I have cascade and hallertau in for the second year now. Given my location and the little sun we get on average every year, I did good to get a first year harvest. This year I expect a better one.

Back