Why won't it stop bubbling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radler

Reaction score
I brewed a very straightforward Wit beer recipe about two weeks ago. I left it in the primary for about 1.5 weeks which is quite a bit longer than I have ever in the past but I was away and had no choice. When I got back it was still bubbling away, slower of course but pretty conssitent once every 30 seconds. Now I've put it in secondary and it has slowed but I can still see bubbles rising to the top where the thing has a head. It was a WYeast Wit yeast and I did really nothing very special, should this still be going like this, will I have the driest Wit ever? How can I stop it? Now I did not use a hydrometer, I just sort of phased it out. Any help, please.
Radler

If it's still bubbling it's still working away.....just leave it alone. IMO!!

My Amber Ale is doing the same thing and it was one week in the primary and 2 weeks and one day in the secondary and bubble are still rising to the top.

IGOR

Some ferments take longer than others. Since it is still bubbling, it isn't done. Could be fermention temperature, could be pitching rate, could be airation, could just be the yeast is a little slower than what you are used to. People who insist every batch should follow the 1-2-3 rule are just as mislead as those who demand a batch hit the exact OG & FG. Bubbles are the best indicator that the yeast aren't done.

I wouldn't panic just yet. Using 'BPM' (bubbles per minute) is a fairly crude indicator of fermentation progress and not one that I would bet the farm on.

If your worried, taste the beer for signs of incomplete fermentation or infection. If all else fails, use the very evil hydrometer.:drunk:

You are going to look back at this post and wonder how in the world you got worried about it later:) Usually it's a stoped fermentation everyone worries about. Eh.... it will work out... sounds like you need a couple of beers:)

Will someone explain this - I broke my f@%in hydromter and I dont care. When the bubbles slow or stop and you open up the bucket and it smells like stout and you pour your self a glass and it tastes like flat, room temerature stout. Is it stout? When is it officially beer?
I was worried because it was my first and it seemed to take long - (2 weeks) then no bubbles, but a positive pressure in the bucket so if I tapped the lid the airlock would bubble. Is taste the best indicator or what?

NEPABREWER said:
Will someone explain this -

I can certainly give it my best shot. Let's have a look...

NEPABREWER said:
I broke my f@%in hydromter and I dont care. When the bubbles slow or stop and you open up the bucket and it smells like stout and you pour your self a glass and it tastes like flat, room temerature stout. Is it stout? When is it officially beer?
I was worried because it was my first and it seemed to take long - (2 weeks) then no bubbles, but a positive pressure in the bucket so if I tapped the lid the airlock would bubble. Is taste the best indicator or what?

Nope, that was completely incoherent. :D

Back