Four weeks and still bubbling!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland

Reaction score
Four weeks ago i brewed up an Amarillo APA with an OG of about 1.060. I pitched a 1L starter of WL WLP001 and away it went. It was the most agressize fermentation I'd seen to date, with gobs of yeast and krausen pumping through the blow-off tube, and that's with a 6 gal. glass carboy, mind you. Things subsided after about a week, but now after four weeks I can still see the occasional bubble coming out of the airlock. One would have thought that with a starter and that aggressize of a fermentation it would have wrapped up sooner. For the record, I don't do secondary fermentation, I generally do a 3-week primary then bottle. It looks like I just have to wait this one out.

Take a gravity reading. You may be seeing a little CO2 off-gassing.

Ben58 said:
Take a gravity reading. You may be seeing a little CO2 off-gassing.

+1
Changes in weather, pressure, temperature can cause off gassing. Gravity is the best way to determine what's going on

1.010, I'm guessing it's done, as that's about as low as a reading as I've gotten. I may check it for another three consecutive days, maybe not. I'm willing to bet since I removed the airlock I've let the remaining gas out and it should be stable. The beer probably benefitted from the extra week because it has an ounce of Amarillo pellets dry-hopping in the carboy. I'm just a little gun-shy because my last ale came out on the fizzy side, perhaps because I bottled before checking the FG.

Thanks for the tip guys, I learned something new.

Back