getting ready for my first batch - last minute questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guiness

Reaction score
so i'm getting ready to brew my first batch and i want everything to go right. i have a few questions to make sure i don't mess up.

when sanitizing the fermenter do i need to fill the entire carboy with sanitizing solution or can i brush it with sanitizing solution?

when i let my items air dry where is a good place to put them? i assume i can't just put them on my countertop. would a paper towel be ok or dishrack? i'm just afraid of recontamination. and when you're handling these items isn't there risk of recontamination as well?

i'm doing a partial boil. when i fill up the carboy with boiled water i should let it cool first so it doesn't break right?

when pitching my yeast does it make sense to aerate the wort in the bottling bucket and then transfer to the carboy, or is there an easier way for aeration?

sorry, just a little parnoia for a first time brewer.

Guiness said:
so i'm getting ready to brew my first batch and i want everything to go right. i have a few questions to make sure i don't mess up.

when sanitizing the fermenter do i need to fill the entire carboy with sanitizing solution or can i brush it with sanitizing solution?

Really depends what sanatizer you're using. If using idophor at recommended doseages then yes, just make sure it contacts every surface that the wort will contact, no need to soak.

Guiness said:
when i let my items air dry where is a good place to put them? i assume i can't just put them on my countertop. would a paper towel be ok or dishrack? i'm just afraid of recontamination. and when you're handling these items isn't there risk of recontamination as well?

Yes, there is risk of contamination every time it's exposed. I drain on a dishrack and cover with plastic wrap. My carboys and buckets, I just turn upside down. Everything else like stir spoons, thermometers, stoppers.... I just keep in a bucket of idophor solution for the ready. Just shake it off and use it.

Guiness said:
i'm doing a partial boil. when i fill up the carboy with boiled water i should let it cool first so it doesn't break right?

Yes, don't ever put anything hot in your carboy.

Guiness said:
when pitching my yeast does it make sense to aerate the wort in the bottling bucket and then transfer to the carboy, or is there an easier way for aeration?

It really doesn't matter much, just get it airated your best way.

Re : Letting things drain and dry.

I put foil down, lay the item on them and put another piece offoil over them to protect from dust born beasties.

Back