What are you listening to (music!!!) right now? Embarrassing or not... share

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good tune but I only post it because Felicia Collins is in the background and I don't think she ever got the recognition she deserved...

20190802_003953.jpg

My favorite Golden Earrings song, a Byrds cover...

Love the Byrds version but these guys increased the altitude to about 800 Miles High.

Last edited:
"My Mistake (Was To Love You)" by Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross.

To the casual listener sounds as if it's a duet, but Marvin's part and Diana's part were recorded separately. Why? Diana was pregnant at the time. Marvin was a big dope smoker at the time. Diana didn't want her unborn baby exposed to the fumes from Marvin's marijuana smoking.

No, matter, listen to the song and enjoy.

"My Mistake (Was To Love You)" by Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross.

To the casual listener sounds as if it's a duet, but Marvin's part and Diana's part were recorded separately. Why? Diana was pregnant at the time. Marvin was a big dope smoker at the time. Diana didn't want her unborn baby exposed to the fumes from Marvin's marijuana smoking.

No, matter, listen to the song and enjoy.

I have to admit that when that song came out I was still into the Woodstock album, bands like Blind Faith and Cream, and still lamenting about the Beatles' break up. I never paid any attention to Motown and I clearly missed a lot.

Now listening to Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" from 1986. Video was innovative at the time for using the pencil sketches making up the video. Unfortunately, these pencil sketches caught on quickly, were overused and died.

No matter, I'm enjoying the song.

I have to admit that when that song came out I was still into the Woodstock album, bands like Blind Faith and Cream, and still lamenting about the Beatles' break up. I never paid any attention to Motown and I clearly missed a lot.

I hate to admit what my parent's called Motown (definitely not politically correct). I'll take Motown over rap nonsense of today anytime!

Marvin Gaye was from Washington DC. Shame his father killed him. Different theories, stories about how, why. Bottom line Marvin you are missed!

Now listening to the Spinners "It's A Shame" from July of 1970.

R&B group from Ferndale High School near Detroit Michigan joins us. Appropriately named for the “motor city” the “Spinners” got their name from car hub caps that continue spinning even when the vehicle is stopped.

The Spinners entered the US Pop Charts in 1961 and stayed on the charts until 1982.

I hate to admit what my parent's called Motown (definitely not politically correct). I'll take Motown over rap nonsense of today anytime!

Marvin Gaye was from Washington DC. Shame his father killed him. Different theories, stories about how, why. Bottom line Marvin you are missed!

Apparently Woodstock 50 is a bust. Too many lawyers now days. New York didn't want. A few weeks ago talk of having Woodstock 50 at a venue in Maryland. Much, much smaller venue. Woodstock 50 died a silent death.

Now listening to Crowded House "Don't Dream It's Over" from January 1987.

A group make up of former Split Enz members from Australia and New Zealand via Los Angeles. Working in a cramped Hollywood apartment on songs and a CD the group needed a name. “Crowded House” was appropriate and became the band’s name. This was their first top 10 song on the American Pop Charts reaching as high as number two.

Great song.

How Foreigner "Woman In Black" from July 1981.

A British-American band formed in New York. Foreigner started as a rock and roll band then migrated into a soft rock band.

The group got their name as 3 of the members were British.

Foreigner charted on the US Pop Charts for 18 years from March 1977 until March 1995. They had 9 songs in the top 10 of the charts with “I Want To Know What Love Is” as their only number 1 song.

The song wasn't even on the US Pop Charts, but the song was played on the radio. The song is from the “Foreigner 4” album.

Last edited:
Apparently Woodstock 50 is a bust. Too many lawyers now days. New York didn't want. A few weeks ago talk of having Woodstock 50 at a venue in Maryland. Much, much smaller venue. Woodstock 50 died a silent death.

It seems that all the Woodstock redos have had issues. It's not possible to recreate the original. While my 13 year old self from August of 1969 would like to be able to say I went to Woodstock, I can only say that I tried. We made it within I'm guessing 10 miles of the concert site, tried walking having no idea where we actually were, failed, lost our car, spent the night in an old school bus with some really cool people, then once we found our car headed home. Not my choice but at that age I was at the mercy of someone who had a car and could drive. I still play the Woodstock vinyl on occasion just to think about what could have been.

Now listening to "Jeans On" by David Dundas from October 1976.

A singer, actor and a jingle writer born April 2, 1945 in Oxford, England. David started with acting. He appeared in theater, on TV and in movies before moving onto music.

In the 1970’s David wrote jingles for Capital Radio. These jingles were played daily.

David was only on the US Pop Charts with "Jeans On". The song reached number 17 on the charts. The song reached #3 on the UK singles chart and #1 on the German singles chart. The song original aired as an ad for jeans. The jean brand name was changed to “old blue jeans” for the song.

It seems that all the Woodstock redos have had issues. It's not possible to recreate the original. While my 13 year old self from August of 1969 would like to be able to say I went to Woodstock, I can only say that I tried. We made it within I'm guessing 10 miles of the concert site, tried walking having no idea where we actually were, failed, lost our car, spent the night in an old school bus with some really cool people, then once we found our car headed home. Not my choice but at that age I was at the mercy of someone who had a car and could drive. I still play the Woodstock vinyl on occasion just to think about what could have been.

Kudos for you and I'm now raising my beer glass to you as a youth of 13 in 1969! The stories we could tell. These were the times. Great times and great memories (for those of us whom are able to remember :) )

Great times, great music, and life was so much simpler than today.

None of the nonsense we now deal with on a daily basis.

Now listening to "Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me) by the group Reunion from September 1974.

The RCA studio group Reunion from New York City with lead singer Joey Levine of Ohio Express, 1910 Fruitgum Company and Music Explosion. Songs considered as “bubblegum songs”. In the 1970’s Joey Levine began a successful career of writing television commercial jingles.

Reunion is considered a ‘one hit wonder” group as they only charted in 1974, but it was a very memorable charting.

“Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me)” reached number 8 on the pop charts. However, the song, in slightly modified versions, is still being used as radio station promos and shopping mall promos. For the shopping mall promos instead of mentioning groups and songs the names of the mall stores are mentioned.

IMO, great song from 1974.

Last edited:
None of the nonsense we now deal with on a daily basis.

Now listening to "Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me) by the group Reunion from September 1974.

The RCA studio group “Reunion” from New York City with lead singer Joey Levine of Ohio Express, 1910 Fruitgum Company and Music Explosion. Songs considered as “bubblegum songs”. In the 1970’s Joey Levine began a successful career of writing television commercial jingles.

“Reunion” is considered a ‘one hit wonder” group as they only charted in 1974, but it was a very memorable charting.

“Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me)” reached number 8 on the pop charts. However, the song, in slightly modified versions, is still being used as radio station promos and shopping mall promos. For the shopping mall promos instead of mentioning groups and songs the names of the mall stores are mentioned.

IMO, great song from 1974.

You are a music lover after my own heart. I swear if my ancient ipod which contains largely 60's and 70's obscure music were ever stolen, rather than the thieves saying, hey we scored a ton of music, they'd be saying, damn, we need to erase this thing. My musical tastes are pretty eclectic but the 60's and 70's are my favorite times if for no other reason than the music was amazing and it takes me back to the best times of my life.

Now listening to "Morning Girl" by Neon Philharmonic from April 1969.

The group was from Nashville, Tennessee created with members of the Nashville Symphony Orchestra, session musicians and a record producer/songwriter. The Neon Philharmonic featuring the vocals of Don Gant. The Neon Philharmonic topped out at number 17 on the pop charts. By the mid 1970s The Neon Philharmonic were history.

Last edited:
You are a music lover after my own heart. I swear if my ancient ipod which contains largely 60's and 70's obscure music were ever stolen, rather than the thieves saying, hey we scored a ton of music, they'd be saying, damn, we need to erase this thing. My musical tastes are pretty eclectic but the 60's and 70's are my favorite times if for no other reason than the music was amazing and it takes me back to the best times of my life.

My friend you'd be surprised to learn what I've done in another life...

Now listening to Blue Magoos "(We Ain't Got) Nothing' Yet from December 1966.

A psychedelic rock group from the Bronx, New York. The “Blues Magoos” hit the charts in 1966. A few years later they were relegated to rock and roll history. Their top hit reached number 5 on the pop charts.

Doesn't matter, a great song!

Last edited:
Now listening to Linda Ronstandt "What's New" from October 1983.

A female singer born July 15, 1946 in Tucson, Arizona.

While in high school Linda formed the folk band “The Three Ronstadts” with her sister and brother.

Linda was on the US Pop charts from November 1967 until October 1995. She had 9 songs in the top 10 of the charts with 1 of those songs at number 1. She entered the pop charts with the song “Different Drum” by the Stone Poneys with Linda Ronstadt. Interesting to note “Different Drum” was written by Michael Nesmith of the Monkees.

Linda Ronstadt is a diversified, multi-talented singer. She’s sung folk, rock and roll, jazz, country, Gospel, R&B, choral, mariachi and opera. Linda has won numerous Grammy Awards, American Music Awards, Academy of Country Music awards an Emmy Award and an ALMA Award. In April 2014 Linda was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

The song reached number 53 on the US Pop charts.

I have a few stories about Linda I could relate, but I refuse to diminish her talents.

Last edited:
Now listening to Neil Sadaka "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" The 1976 version from December 1975.

A Juilliard trained classical pianist from Brooklyn, New York. Neil Sedaka begin writing songs at age 13 and formed a singing group while in high school. Neil Sedaka was on the pop charts from 1958 until 1966. Neil also wrote the songs for Tom Jones, Fifth Dimension, the Captain and Tennille and others.

Around 1974 Neil Sedaka made a pop chart come back with “Laughter In The Rain”. At the fade out of the 1975 song “Love Will Keep Us Together” sung by the Captain and Tennille one hears Toni Tennille sing “Sedaka is back”.

In 1975 Neil did a slow version remake of his June 1962 number 1 hit “Breaking Up Is Hard To Do”. The slow version reached number 1 on the adult contemporary charts. I believe Neil Sedaka is the only performer to have a number 1 hit with the same song in 2 different decades.

I like this version better than the 1950's version...

Last edited:
Now listening to Elton John's "Who Wears These Shoes" from September 1984.

A singer, songwriter, composer and pianist born Reginald Kenneth Dwight on March 25, 1947 in Middlesex, England. He is known world-wide. We know him as Elton John.

Elton John charted on the US Pop Charts from August 15, 1970 until February 10, 2010. Elton had 26 hits in the 10 top of the charts with 8 of those songs at number 1. So far in his career he has sold more than 300 million records making him one of the best-selling music artists in the world.

Today’s song was from the “Breaking Hearts” album and was also released as a single. Today’s song reached number 16 on the charts.

Last edited:
Now listening to Beach Boys "It's OK" from August 1976.

A band from California. Known world-wide as the most popular American rock and roll band. They are the Beach Boys.

To me it’s simply not Summer without the Beach Boys music.

The Beach Boys charted on the US Pop Charts from February 1962 until August 1989. A good 27 ½ years on the pop charts. They had 15 songs in the 10 ten of the charts with 4 of those songs at number 1.

The Beach Boys performed free concerts at 4th of July celebrations on the Mall in Washington DC during the 1980s.

"It's OK" reached number 29 on the US Pop charts.

Last edited:
A lot of great songs being mentioned. From above, whether you call it Motown, soul, or R&B, those songs from the 70s hold a special place in my heart. The Spinners, The Stylistics, Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, etc. all fantastic.
Heading out to a few wineries now but I'll post some of my favorites later. In the mean time rock on!!

Back