First Cider: Experiment: GREAT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, on 10 DEC 11, I started my first cider attempt.

I obtained 10 Gallons of Mott's pasteurized apple juice (in the gallon jugs), and I had 6 lbs. of Light LME on hand, as well as 2 x 11g Notingham packets.

I heated 3 Gallons of the juice to 120 deg. F, and added the 6 lbs LME to the mix.

I kept 6 of the gallon jugs of juice outside, where they would reach a temperature of approximately 40 deg. F.

After the LME was dissolved in the 3 gallons of apple juice, I added two of the chilled jugs of juice to the heated juice, so as not to risk cracking my carboys.

I then split this mixture evenly into two 6.5 gallon carboys, using a sanitized funnel.

I added the rest of the chilled juice, and grabbed the Nottingham yeast, which had been rehydrating in some room temperature (~75 deg. F) apple juice for the last 15 minutes.

I poured in the yeast, and rinsed it all down the funnel with some room temperature juice. I did not have any yeast nutrient, but I figured that 6 lbs. of LME would contain enough nitrogen to allow a fairly efficient fermentation.

Measured OG was 1.072. Flavor of gravity sample was very sweet and delicious, as one would expect.

Strong activity was shown at the 24-hour mark.

Peak kraeusen at 48 hours. Bubbles continued 1/second for the next seven days. Room ambient temperature 57-59; Fermentation temperature between 62-64 degrees F during this time. Apple smells filled room for first three days, turning to bready, yeasty, fermentation smell (that started to fill house) for days 3 through 5. Smells god significantly milder after day 5.

I decided to cold crash 1x 5-Gallon batch at 6 days. I put one carboy outside in a shed with 32 deg. F ambient last night (16 DEC 11), with gravity reading 1.022 (so ABV was approx. ~6%, so I wasn't worried about carboy freezing; also had vodka in airlock). Gravity sample was DELICIOUS, tasting very much like apricot juice.

This morning, 17 DEC 11, the Fermometer on the cold-crashed carboy read 38 deg. F, after approximately 12 hours outside in 32 deg. Ambient (and snowing). I racked off of lees to 5 gallon keg, and I purged & pressurized with 15 psi carbon Dioxide.

"Line purge" tap draw of cold "sweet cider" is DELICIOUS. Crisp, apricot flavor, with mild, wine-like astringency on back end, which compliments the fruity sweetness. The glass has a floral aroma, which smells almost like gardenias and vanilla. I am really pleased with how this 5 gallons has turned out so far.

I am carbing this 5 gallons in a kegerator at 40 deg. F. I think that the yeast will remain dormant at this temperature, and the cider will stay sweet.

The other 5 gallons is still bubbling away (about 1 bubble every 3 seconds now, though), and I plan on leting that five gallons go completely dry with the Nottingham (with an anticipated FG of about 1.001 or so... We'll see.).

Then, I may rack to secondary (perhaps after a month), and bulk age for another two or three months, before sampling and deciding whether to age longer or not...

I don't really have a question with this post/thread, but I just wanted to get the empirical evidence and documentation of my process out there for any other potential cider makers who would think of doing a cider enriched with LME, as I did.

Thanks- I love the HBT forums!

Ridonkulous05 said:
So, on 10 DEC 11, I started my first cider attempt.

I obtained 10 Gallons of Mott's pasteurized apple juice (in the gallon jugs), and I had 6 lbs. of Light LME on hand, as well as 2 x 11g Notingham packets.

I heated 3 Gallons of the juice to 120 deg. F, and added the 6 lbs LME to the mix.

I kept 6 of the gallon jugs of juice outside, where they would reach a temperature of approximately 40 deg. F.

After the LME was dissolved in the 3 gallons of apple juice, I added two of the chilled jugs of juice to the heated juice, so as not to risk cracking my carboys.

I then split this mixture evenly into two 6.5 gallon carboys, using a sanitized funnel.

I added the rest of the chilled juice, and grabbed the Nottingham yeast, which had been rehydrating in some room temperature (~75 deg. F) apple juice for the last 15 minutes.

I poured in the yeast, and rinsed it all down the funnel with some room temperature juice. I did not have any yeast nutrient, but I figured that 6 lbs. of LME would contain enough nitrogen to allow a fairly efficient fermentation.

Measured OG was 1.072. Flavor of gravity sample was very sweet and delicious, as one would expect.

Strong activity was shown at the 24-hour mark.

Peak kraeusen at 48 hours. Bubbles continued 1/second for the next seven days. Room ambient temperature 57-59; Fermentation temperature between 62-64 degrees F during this time. Apple smells filled room for first three days, turning to bready, yeasty, fermentation smell (that started to fill house) for days 3 through 5. Smells god significantly milder after day 5.

I decided to cold crash 1x 5-Gallon batch at 6 days. I put one carboy outside in a shed with 32 deg. F ambient last night (16 DEC 11), with gravity reading 1.022 (so ABV was approx. ~6%, so I wasn't worried about carboy freezing; also had vodka in airlock). Gravity sample was DELICIOUS, tasting very much like apricot juice.

This morning, 17 DEC 11, the Fermometer on the cold-crashed carboy read 38 deg. F, after approximately 12 hours outside in 32 deg. Ambient (and snowing). I racked off of lees to 5 gallon keg, and I purged & pressurized with 15 psi carbon Dioxide.

"Line purge" tap draw of cold "sweet cider" is DELICIOUS. Crisp, apricot flavor, with mild, wine-like astringency on back end, which compliments the fruity sweetness. The glass has a floral aroma, which smells almost like gardenias and vanilla. I am really pleased with how this 5 gallons has turned out so far.

I am carbing this 5 gallons in a kegerator at 40 deg. F. I think that the yeast will remain dormant at this temperature, and the cider will stay sweet.

The other 5 gallons is still bubbling away (about 1 bubble every 3 seconds now, though), and I plan on leting that five gallons go completely dry with the Nottingham (with an anticipated FG of about 1.001 or so... We'll see.).

Then, I may rack to secondary (perhaps after a month), and bulk age for another two or three months, before sampling and deciding whether to age longer or not...

I don't really have a question with this post/thread, but I just wanted to get the empirical evidence and documentation of my process out there for any other potential cider makers who would think of doing a cider enriched with LME, as I did.

Thanks- I love the HBT forums!

Think I might need to go pick up some motts as it is now too cold to get fresh cider here. Just kicked my last keg of cider!

I am brewing my second 5 gallon batch of cider as well using Mott's. I am still new to brewing and I am curious to what LME you used? I just added two pounds of brown sugar which I added after warming up in 2 gallons a juice to dissolve it. Then I just pitched the yeast and it is now 3 days in (1/ sec in the airlock). My basement smells of sulfer and starting to stink up the house. I would like to try the malt when I make my next batch so I am curious. Not sure it will change the smell but I think it would make the flavor different.

I just started a 10 gallon batch with motts and lalvin 1118 , 4 lbs of brown sugar and 10 cinnamon sticks

Be careful with the cinnamon sticks. They can really overpower the flavor if you leave them in too long. They will also be more noticeable with a higher alcohol level. It does make a good drink this time of year though so always worth experimenting.

Greghark said:
Be careful with the cinnamon sticks. They can really overpower the flavor if you leave them in too long. They will also be more noticeable with a higher alcohol level. It does make a good drink this time of year though so always worth experimenting.

I plan on stopping the fermentation early...when it hits about 1.030, sg was 1.068 and it is already bubbling so hopefully It doesn't overpower it too much

I plan on stopping the fermentation early...when it hits about 1.030, sg was 1.068 and it is already bubbling so hopefully It doesn't overpower it too much
1.030 will be sweet, and will have an ABV of just under 5%. If sweet is what you are going for, ok, but I'd try a sample at that range and judge for yourself.

UpstateMike said:
1.030 will be sweet, and will have an ABV of just under 5%. If sweet is what you are going for, ok, but I'd try a sample at that range and judge for yourself.

From what I understand, woodchuck amber is 1.029. That is what my friends like and this is for a party so trying to crowd please. But yeah, going to taste test as much as possible....that's fun anyway

UPDATE: The first, "cold crashed" cider carbed under ~12-15 psi for 7 days.

First Sample, a week later, lost most of its "apricot-y" character, and was now more "sweet and sour apple" flavored. Also notable was a mild bready-fermentation note, as well as a good yeast plug from the keg dip tube in the first pour. All of this, to me, indicated that the Nottingham was still at work, but slowly, if not very slowly.

A number of months later (3, now), the cider is a bitter-appley flavor, with a good, "fermented beverage" taste (bready, smooth, and with malt notes peeking through the sweet and sour apple). The stuff is still delicious, but is dangerous, and sneaks up on you (potentially ending your night early)- which explains why I still have some left 3 months later! :)

The other, unmolested carboy is still in primary, and most of the Nottingham has precipitated out of solution. I will transfer to a 5g keg in order to secondary in the near future, with an intention to report my findings.

Brew well, ladies and gentlemen!

Back