Oil Bath Kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o2nut

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with oil bath kettles? I got access to containers for a 1bbl brew system. Steam is a little to scary with the size I would need for me. I was thinking about using an oil bath for boiling and mashing. I know the idea of using oil around your wort would be scary, but I don't want this to be about that. Was thinking of using a double boiler system with oil in the outside bowl. It would be able to reach boiling temps and not scorch anything. I know there are some really smart people here and wanted to get some professional advice. Thanks for your help.

I have heard of this but not applied to home brewing. This would scare the beejeebus out of me... Have you thought about making a steam infusion MLT instead of a steam jacket? IMO this would be pretty easy to do with a sanke keg and some tri-clover fittings...Just a thought.

Back