Lemon Zest in Honeyweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flabyboy

Reaction score
Going to make the NB Honey Hefeweisen extract kit today and was thinking about adding a little lemon zest to it. Do I add this at the end of the boil or do I use it in a secondary during clearing? Going to start in a half hour or so. Any advice would be much appreciated

I was thinking along the same lines the other night while squeezing a lemon. Either add it at the end of the boil or after fermentation. I would blanch the zest first if adding after fermentation.

I'd be concerned that boiling would drive off some off the essence.

Going to make the NB Honey Hefeweisen extract kit today and was thinking about adding a little lemon zest to it. Do I add this at the end of the boil or do I use it in a secondary during clearing? Going to start in a half hour or so. Any advice would be much appreciated

I'm making the same beer and will also be adding lemon to it. I have a 5gal batch in primary and will be racking it to secondary today. I am actually splitting it into two 2.5gal batches - one with and one without the lemon zest for comparison purposes. Will be using one lemon and soaking the zest in vodka for a few hours, straining the zest off, and adding the liquid to the bottom of the secondary before racking.

I may only add half the liquid and taste it first to see how much of it comes through.

Will try to remember to update when all is done. PM me if I don't and I'll fill you in.

NHAnimator

Or you can add it at the end of boil before you cool. There is still enough heat in there to sanitize and release the oil without actually boiling it.

I added it at flameout. Just bottled last week but I could taste the lemon. I used the zest of one lemon

Back