Pitched yeast, got bubbles, but for less than expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csh8428

Reaction score
This my first brew.
Its pretty much your standard Killan's wannabe kit in a box and follow the instructions; which I did. The instructions said to wait 3-6 days after pitching yeast before beginning bottling. I pitched the yeast on Sunday evening and the airlock was bubbling from the get go until Tuesday morning; which is well below what the instructions mentioned. It was a very small packet of yeast, about 1.5times a sugar packet

It's now Wednesday and I was wondering if I should pitch yeast again or just go ahead with adding the priming sugar and bottling.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Craig

You should take a hydrometer reading and see if you are at or close to your target final gravity. Even if you are at your final gravity wait at least 10 days before you bottle to let the yeast clean up after themselves. You do not need to pitch anymore yeast.

Welcome to the forum.:mug:

This my first brew.
Its pretty much your standard Killan's wannabe kit in a box and follow the instructions; which I did. The instructions said to wait 3-6 days after pitching yeast before beginning bottling. I pitched the yeast on Sunday evening and the airlock was bubbling from the get go until Tuesday morning; which is well below what the instructions mentioned. It was a very small packet of yeast, about 1.5times a sugar packet

It's now Wednesday and I was wondering if I should pitch yeast again or just go ahead with adding the priming sugar and bottling.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Craig

Let it ride another week before bottling.

Thanks for the quick and informative replies ya'll. :)

I appreciate it.

Craig

I thought I had this problem on my last batch.... the darn thing just wasn't bubbling.... I tried to ignore it because I have heard from HBT that "bubbles don't mean anything"

Revvy is right. They don't.

...and in my case I didn't have quite enough vodka in the airlock... I topped it off and bubble she did.... FWIW.

RDWHAHB

Back