sterilization/wild yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorak142

Reaction score
I recently finished making a wild yeast starter from some organic apples I bought at the store. I found an old glass jug around the house that had some mold or something in it. I cleaned out the jug and boiled some water and poured it into the jug and let it sit for about 5 min. I then poured some apple juice into the jug and put about half a cup of the wild yeast into the juice, and placed a stopper and airlock on it. After about 4 days, i started noticing like 2 little white chunks of something on the bottom of the jug, i dont think it's the yeast because some of the yeast has settled and is more of a tan color. Does anyone know what this could be? Did i make a big mistake and not sterilize the jug properly? ( i thought boiling water kills all microorganisms) Or could this be a wild bacteria/mold from the apples?

Boiling water would kill whatever was in the water itself. I would have used sanitizer for the jug, personally. Once you took the water off the boil, it was hot water and not boiling water.

Can you take a picture of it that would be good enough for us to see what it looks like? It really could be a number of things.

Back