brew for Saint Pat's Day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
anybody getting a brew together for Saint Patrick's Day? i need to get one going for it to be ready in time, and don't know if i want a stout, or a nice Irish Red Ale?

here's what i have for a red so far:

O'Brian's Irish Red
10 lbs Marris Otter 2-Row
0.5 lb British Crystal Malt (75 L)
2 oz Roasted Barley
1 oz Fuggle Hops @ 60 min
.25 oz EKG Hops @ 15 min
1/2 tsp irish moss @ 15 min
WLP004 White Labs Irish Ale Yeast
75 min boil
SRM - 13.7 IBU's - 21.1 OG - 1.055

may could add some flaked oaks hu?

Well, a Dry Irish Stout would be the most appropriate, IMHO. But an Irish Red is a great alternative!:D Your recipe looks good; similar to a Red I made, but with less hops, which is actually more style-appropriate than mine. I like my Reds to be fairly clear, so I'd skip the flaked oats. But that's just me.

yea, never really intended on the oats. just a brain-fart :~)

i haven't done an all-grain stout yet, so i may give that a try.

Go for it - an AG stout is easy.:) I took the extract version of mine that I had done twice and converted it to an AG. It turned out great - better than the extract version and damn close to Guinness! It is what most of my friends ask for when I offer them a choice of homebrews.

I already have a red ale in the secondary, and I am thinking of running another stout. I did a stout in Nov/Dec, but it is not turning out that well, as I screwed up the recipe. I am hoping that it ages a little better but my last sample was not that good. I was looking at a post from a while back that Sam75 and His Royal Dudeness had about a Coffee Toffee Stout (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2557&highlight=coffee+toffee)
- I would prefer traditional, but my wife, who I am slowly turning into a beer drinker, was intrigued by a beer with coffee and candy in the name, so SWMBO might be making the call. It might also push me into doing my first AG batch :D

Back