First Batch: Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batona

Reaction score
I just pitched the yeast and all is looking good on my first batch. Before I carry this to the basement, am I supposed to take a reading with the hydrometer?

I do not have a thermometer to measure the temperature. FWIW, the LHBS told me I did not need one. I have read that the temperature affects the reading of the hydrometer. At this point, does it matter?

Don't worry about it. I'm assuming you did an extract brew since it was your first. Extract brew usually come out pretty close to what they are supposed to. When the primary fermentation is done you should check the gravity to make sure it has fermented all the way. Leaving the fermenter alone for a week should make sure of that.

Thanks. That is pretty much how I approached it. Things were getting late so I just tucked it in the basement.

RDWHAHB but for your next batch check your gravity before you pitch the yeast. I'm a firm believer in tracking your beers gravity. First off you will know the alcohol content and second you will know if something has gone awry during the fermentation. :mug:

Latest posts

Back