"Guilty" confessions of a beer enthusiast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I just read it!!! A delicious shower beer, nothin beats it, and don't knock it till you've tried it. No it's not like I grab a beer every time I hop in the shower before work. That would just mean you have a problem. But nothing beats a nice cold coors shower beer. Mostly because you wouldn't want to ruin a nicer beer.

Yes I agree there are way better beers out there than BMC. But these beer giants are there for a reason. They are marketing masters, can make millions of gallons of "repeatable" beer. Although with enough money and that equipment I'm sure many of this site could as well. So that's my two cents. I love homebrew and the delicious micro/craft brews. So I guess I'm no snob, just a beer loving enthusiast!!!

In the summer time - on golf days, my beer of choice is Miller High Life. It's the Champagne of beers after all.

Yes I just read it!!! A delicious shower beer, nothin beats it, and don't knock it till you've tried it. No it's not like I grab a beer every time I hop in the shower before work. That would just mean you have a problem. But nothing beats a nice cold coors shower beer. Mostly because you wouldn't want to ruin a nicer beer.

Yes I agree there are way better beers out there than BMC. But these beer giants are there for a reason. They are marketing masters, can make millions of gallons of "repeatable" beer. Although with enough money and that equipment I'm sure many of this site could as well. So that's my two cents. I love homebrew and the delicious micro/craft brews. So I guess I'm no snob, just a beer loving enthusiast!!!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who drinks beer in the shower :ban:

On a hot summer day nothing beats sitting around with a couple of buddies and some cold steel reserve or colt 45 playing edward 40 hands...

I have become a snob , here in socal where I live , it's just to
easy the market down the street has SNPA on sale all the time
and when they don't riteaid started carrying Lagunitas ipa on sale
to from time to time also ,and the other market carries Karl Strauss
Tower 10 ipa and .....
so sorry no mo bmc

I've been known on occasion to drink Michelob Original Lager or Sams Boston Lager for some bread making and drinking. Blue Moon Belgian White (still like it, got me started on my beerventure) or Sierra Nevada Kellerweis or Hoegaarden White or UFO Whit. Tecate for Mexican at On the Border, or Modelo Especiale on a hot day. And whatever my friends have I don't turn down, it'd be rude ;)

It's great threads like this that make me do an eyeroll when someone starts a thread like this. It's funny though how so often when the bud bashing or "I must convert the idiots who only drink BMC" threads pop up, how so many folks just tell the OP to get over it. And equally funny is how po-ed some get when we don't all just jump on their bandwagon.

I'll admit without the slightest bit of shame that I think Shiner "Bock" and Shiner's Dortmunder seasonals are good beers, and I drink them like the proud Texan I am. Sure, they may not be exactly to style, but neither are some of my homebrews, and I've won various kudos with beers that I pushed outside of style guidelines.

I also seek out and drink Sam Adam' Boston Lager at every opportunity. In fact, it's the first thing I ask for in a chain restaurant like Outback. I love it. Furthermore, I consider Sam Adam's Latitude 48 to be one of the best IPAs on the market.

And here's the capper: I drink traditional Budweiser sometimes. My dad keeps it at his house, and we've been known to throw a few back together. It makes for good times and good memories.

I will admit to loving AB's Winter Bourbon Cask Ale when they were still making it. Pretty consistently rated as one of the worst beers ever, but I'd buy every one I could put my hands on.

You do know that Outback actually has Cooper's Ale and Sparkling Lager, don't you?

Yeppers. I've had many a Cooper's at Outback too, especially when hanging out in the bar with friends after work. And I even use Cooper's yeast to make starters for certain ale recipes from time to time. Works great, tastes great.

Yeppers. I've had many a Cooper's at Outback too, especially when hanging out in the bar with friends after work. And I even use Cooper's yeast to make starters for certain ale recipes from time to time. Works great, tastes great.

Do you take the bottles with you? I've thought about pocketing them on occasion to take the yeast.

Do you take the bottles with you? I've thought about pocketing them on occasion to take the yeast.

Actually, I never even thought about it, but will certainly keep that in mind for next time. I usually just buy the dry yeast packets from AHB. :D

My "guilty" beer has got to be Coors Banquet. I moved to California six months ago and have since returned to the east coast. While I was there I discovered the wonder that is Coors Banquet beer. My father is a dedicated Coors drinker (mostly Coors Light now that he's trying to watch his weight) and I remember him raving my whole life about how good this banquet stuff was...turns out after all my years of joking him, he was right. Any time I can find it I grab it. It makes me think of Dad and how much more I can learn from him.

Actually, I never even thought about it, but will certainly keep that in mind for next time. I usually just buy the dry yeast packets from AHB. :D

My understanding from the old Austrailian brewing podcast craftbrewer radio is that the packets are not actually what's the real brewery uses in the "real" Sparkling ale and lager. If you want the true strain you have to bottle harvest it.

My understanding from the old Austrailian brewing podcast craftbrewer radio is that the packets are not actually what's the real brewery uses in the "real" Sparkling ale and lager. If you want the true strain you have to bottle harvest it.

I would love to be a fly on the wall to watch Revvy (hell anyone for that matter) order up a few beers at the same time. Instruct the server to bring an equal amout of glasses. Then breaks out a small star san bottle, a 250ML flask filled with sterile wort inside (sealed with a solid rubber bung) and a sterilized pipette. Proceedes to sanitize the table and all the "stuff", then harvests the yeast right at the table.

I would love to be a fly on the wall to watch Revvy (hell anyone for that matter) order up a few beers at the same time. Instruct the server to bring an equal amout of glasses. Then breaks out a small star san bottle, a 250ML flask filled with sterile wort inside (sealed with a solid rubber bung) and a sterilized pipette. Proceedes to sanitize the table and all the "stuff", then harvests the yeast right at the table.

I actually was wondering though about just bringing a mason jar of wort and a small spray bottle of starsan.;)

I'm already a pain in the ass when I go there and order a coopers. for some reason they think just because a beer is bottle conditioned and has yeast in the bottom that they're supposed to swirl it up for you. I always have to tell them this isn't a heffe, you don't want to swirl the yeast you want to pour the beer off the yeast.

Good info. Duly noted. Time for a trip to Outback. :cross:

My confession would be that I still occasionally do a dog chug when I see my old college buddies. This consists of buying a bottle of Mad Dog and chugging the whole thing down without stopping to take a breath. Great cure to a hangover on many a Saturday afternoon.

First off, best thread ever. I have been laughing the whole way through. I'm not gona lie I'm a sucker for heineken, the taste and the smell mmmmm mmmmmm mmmmm smells like.... Well never mind I dig it though

I don't drink BMC or other industrial beer. Period. I hate the style and can't tolerate the taste. I don't like beers with adjuncts.

I like to pitch at 80f then transfer to secondary after 1 week. Then when I bottle condition, I try my first bottle after only one week in the bottle. (Gasp)

Don't like most Canadian major, corporate beers. Never have. I started on Keith's IPA (calm down, it's not an IPA), stuck there for about 16 years until I hit 32. They cut jobs at the original brewery in Halifax, NS so they could justify brewing more of it in Ontario, so I cut it out of my fridge.

I drank Keith's when all my buddies were drinking Blue or Bud. I drank it warm, because nobody at a high school party was gonna drink warm beer, and this was in the time before cold beer stores in my home town.

I drink Propeller Bitter or Propeller IPA as a go to beer now.

Probably my real guilty pleasure to most on here would be Miller Lite. Been to the States once, Miller Lite was like $14 for 30 beer, so I grabbed one, and drank 5 of the 30 packs in the 10 days I was in Florida (golf trip). Snuck 15 in my golf bag at the Slammer and the Squire at the World Golf Village. Wasn't expecting the bag valet when we pulled in the parking lot.... Couldn't find a bathroom on the back nine either, and couldn't find a spot that wasn't in full view of condos or other holes. Finally took a leak between 2 big mounds on 16 or 17.

Don't like most Canadian major, corporate beers. Never have. I started on Keith's IPA (calm down, it's not an IPA), stuck there for about 16 years until I hit 32. They cut jobs at the original brewery in Halifax, NS so they could justify brewing more of it in Ontario, so I cut it out of my fridge.

I drank Keith's when all my buddies were drinking Blue or Bud. I drank it warm, because nobody at a high school party was gonna drink warm beer, and this was in the time before cold beer stores in my home town.

I drink Propeller Bitter or Propeller IPA as a go to beer now.

Probably my real guilty pleasure to most on here would be Miller Lite. Been to the States once, Miller Lite was like $14 for 30 beer, so I grabbed one, and drank 5 of the 30 packs in the 10 days I was in Florida (golf trip). Snuck 15 in my golf bag at the Slammer and the Squire at the World Golf Village. Wasn't expecting the bag valet when we pulled in the parking lot.... Couldn't find a bathroom on the back nine either, and couldn't find a spot that wasn't in full view of condos or other holes. Finally took a leak between 2 big mounds on 16 or 17.

OV and Labatt's 50 are my go-to golf course beers.

OV and Labatt's 50 are my go-to golf course beers.

If somebody else is buying I'll drink anything on a golf course. To be honest though, I almost like the hard stuff when I golf more than beer. But I'm a golf course superintendent, so when I actually get to play I want to dress it up a bit.

I started on Keith's IPA (calm down, it's not an IPA)

Yeah, I never understood this. I was umping a vintage base ball game in London a couple years ago and at the BBQ after they had it. Got all excited.....Until I tasted it.

On what planet is that an IPA? Bud Light has more of a hop presence than that one. ;)

Yeah, I never understood this. I was umping a vintage base ball game in London a couple years ago and at the BBQ after they had it. Got all excited.....Until I tasted it.

On what planet is that an IPA? Bud Light has more of a hop presence than that one. ;)

I don't know man. When I was a kid it was beer #1 in Nova Scotia, probably still is. I'd heard that it outsells all other brews 10-1, but that number seems ludicrous. But, at the Liquor Store they usually have 2 pallets of each bottle/can style of Keith's to every other bottle beer.

It was uniquely Nova Scotian, but Labatt's took it and ran with it to market it as a "craft" beer from the Maritimes to the rest of Canada. If you let the bottles get old in the basement it has a nice flavour, but not an IPA.

**Edit** by craft beer, I mean in the eyes of the guys who drink Coors Light. I was buddies with a Labatt's rep. His mission was to eradicate Coor's Light from the market place.

I'm from Halifax Nova Scotia, and I still drink Alexander Keiths IPA when my brew pipeline is dry. It's 5% ABV and the IBUs come in somewhere around 15-20.

Yes, it's marketed as an IPA, but I drank it for 15 years before getting into brewing, so I keep on drinking it when BMC style is being drank. I think it -used- to be an IPA, back in 1820 when Alexander Keith started brewing it. But it's been heavily changed and made more palitable to the masses over the last 190 years. Tbh it has even been changed significantly even in my lifetime to be more BMCish then when I started drinking it.

And oddly enough, I tried a real IPA a few months back for the first time, and I don't care for it. I found the taste very skunky and overwhelming. That was a craft brew IPA. Propellers IPA.

I mostly enjoy my simply porters, a bit of brown ale, and a very nice, citrusy, floral APA I make with a lot of cascade hops in it. Those are my daily go to beers.

That said, dying to try some barley wine for the first time, garrison brewery in Halifax should be releasing some of their 'Ol' Fog Burner' barley wine in the next month or two. Gonna be lined up outside the brewery on release day for some of that! With a bit of luck they might have made some of the barrel aged barley wine that I missed last year. 11 months in oak barrel that held Glen breton rare single malt scotch. Sounds yummy!

...Not sure if all this qualifys me as enthusiast or snob. Last paragraph sounds snobby to me, but mostly I'm just excited to try something new!

Spent an incredibly hot and sweaty day playing disc golf with a couple of friends summer of 2006. The 2 cases of ice cold Coors Light we had disappeared like magic. I had my fair share to be sure.

FYI, for those Americans who don't live in a border state with Canada, and don't know what we're talking about, here's a pic of Keith's IPA from when I had it in London Ont.

DSCN3236.JPG

Despite it's lack of hop character it does call itself an IPA.

Interesting definition of why they do from wikipedia.

Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale

Many beer aficionados are quick to note that Keith's India Pale Ale lacks most of the qualities usually associated with the IPA style: the alcohol percentage is too low (5% ABV vs. the expected 5.5% to 6.5%), as is the level of bittering hops (less than 20 IBU vs. the expected 40-100). It also lacks the fruitiness and heavier body found in most ales. Keith's was marketed as an India Pale Ale long before the IPA style gained popularity in craft brewing circles as a revived historic beer style. This has allowed Keith’s to effectively grandfather the India Pale Ale name in without meeting the current IPA standards.

Despite (or perhaps as a result of) its lack of resemblance to the current IPA standard, Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale continues to be Nova Scotia's most popular beer and the number one specialty beer in markets across Canada.

Spent an incredibly hot and sweaty day playing disc golf with a couple of friends summer of 2006. The 2 cases of ice cold Coors Light we had disappeared like magic. I had my fair share to be sure.

nothing like a day on the course with some bad brew. PBR is my go to when disc golfing, few brews are more refreshing, IMO. that's right hamm's, PBR should rightfully be called 'the beer refreshing', you guys can keep the 'sky blue waa-aters' though, no disc golfer needs those. :ban:

Back