Fat Tyre Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
Found this online...wanted you guys's opinion before I bought the stuff. Been interested in Fat Tire for a while.

1 tsp gypsum
Grain: 1 lb. American Munich
4 oz. American victory
8 oz. Belgian biscuit
4 oz. American crystal 20L
4 oz. American crystal 40L
4 oz. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
Steep: crushed grains are put into bags and placed into 2.5 quarts of water and held at 155°F for 45 minutes.

bags are then put into a strainer and slowly rinsed with 5 quarts of 170°F water.
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.098 3 gallons
7 lb. Light malt extract
boil timing begins when the hot break happens.
Irish moss is added in the last 15 minutes of the boil.
Hops: 0.75 oz. Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 60 min.)
0.5 oz. Willamette (5% AA, 30 min.)
0.5 oz. Willamette (5% AA, 15 min.)
0.5 oz. Willamette (5% AA, 5 min.)
Yeast: Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II)

Made a starter the day before brewing. Smacked the yeast pack in the morning and pitched into 1 quart water and 1 cup light DME that was boiled for 15 minutes and cooled to 72°F about 12 hours after smacking it.
Log: Primary ferment at 70°F until bubbling had slowed to one every 90 seconds. Then wait one more day.

Rack into secondary and keep at 70°F for at least two weeks before bottling.
Carbonation: 2/3 cup corn sugar boiled in 1 pint of water.

Thanks

First, if you search here, the Fat Tire recipe has been covered probably as much as any I have seen on this site in my short time here. That being said, while the recipe you list is very close to others I have seen, I don't think it will be dark enough. most recipes call for small quantities of chocolate malt to get that rich color. However, I had some very interesting discussions with one of the New Belgian brewers over the winter who said they do not use chocolate (due to its astringent flavor characteristics) but rather a darker crystal malt to achieve that color and maintain malty sweetness. So, I'd substitute the crystal 40 (and possible the 20) for 80 or 100--best way would be to use pro mash or similar program to try and achieve the same SRM. I made mine with all Willamette and was happy with the hops but the brewer suggested a second hop of an "earthy" variety (I beleive Fuggles was suggested).

Hope this helps.

Gosh, I hate to get a Fat Tire clone thread going again, but friends just dying to get me to brew one. They don't believe me when I say it's not the cat's ass...good, but not the cat's ass and was a gateway brew to real beers for lots of folks.

Here's an extract recipe I'm kicking around for a target drink-date of late spring 2007.

Target SG: 1.052
IBU: 19.5

1# Caramel 20L
.5# Munich 2-row
.25# Biscuit Malt
.25# Chocolate 2-row

Toast the munich malt at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or so.

6# light LME

Hops:
.75oz Hallertau (60min remaining)
.5oz Fuggle (15min remaining)
1oz Fuggle (flameout for 3min)

Irish Moss at 15min

1056 yeast.

I just made a Fat Tire Amber Ale clone on 7/9/06. Here's the recipe I used:

Grains:
3 oz biscuit mailt
1/2 lb Crystal 90L
1/4 Victory Malt
6 oz Munich Malt

Steeped 20 minutes at 150.

Extract: (LME)
4 lbs. Extra pale extract
3 lbs Pale extract

Hops:
3/4 oz Northern Brewer (bittering)
1/2 oz Hersbrucker (15 mins)
1/4 oz Willamette (5 mins)

I used White labs California Ale yest. Original s.g was 1.050, finished at 1.010.

This is very good! We've only sampled a couple that aren't quite carbonated enough yet, but it's still a smooth tasty ale even green.

Lorena

Back