First AG lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumber

Reaction score
I'm going to attempt to do my first lager. I was wondering how far in advance should I get the yeast starter going and what temp? I am using Wyeast 2206 and my target OG is .070, so I plan on making a 3q starter. Also wondering at what temp do I start to ferment at? Do I start at ale temp and slowly drop to lager temp or do I just start at lager temp? Thanks for the help.

interested in this myself, i am starting a lager too... i have done AG ale but never even an extract lager... always wanted to do my first lager as AG because of my own reasons.

Cheers

The starter can be done at room temperature- because you're not making beer, you're growing yeast.

What I like to do is make my starter about 6-7 days in advance. Then, the next day, add some more cooled wort to step it up. I might do that a couple of times until I have the correct sized starter for my brew. When it's all fermented out, I place it in the fridge. On brewday, I take it out and decant the spent wort, and let it warm to approx 48 degrees.

I chill my wort to 50 degrees, and then pitch the 48 degree starter into the slightly warmer wort. It's not much of a difference, but the yeast seem to love being placed into the ever-so-slightly warmer wort.

I always pitch cold. Always. Some will tell you to pitch at 70, and then bring it down. But my thinking goes against this for several reasons. One, fermentation is exothermic, and by the time you get an established fermentation down to 50 degrees (without shocking it), the fermentation will be basically over! Two, just my reasoning on how I pitch. When I make an ale, I don't pitch at 85, and then lower it to 65 degrees. That just doesn't seem like the best thing for the yeast and seems like you'd get off-flavors. So I don't do it for lagers, either. Three- some lagers produce significant sulfur and diacetyl at higher temperatures. So then you need a diacetyl rest. If you pitch cold, often times you don't get those off-flavors and I don't even do a diacetyl rest most of the time.

Anyway, I've heard that it's common both ways. But if you pitch enough healthy yeast (consult mrmalty.com 's pitching calculator) and give it enough time in the primary, then the results are great with pitching at fermentation temperatures.

Ok I checked mrmalty.com and it recomends a 6.8l starter. Does this sound correct? Guess I didnt think I would need 2 gal worth of starter. I did a 2q for a .080 ale and it firmented out in three day so I guessed a 3q for a .070 lager would be sufficient. I know you need more yeast for a lager, it just surprised me a little when I saw the amount on mrmalty.com.

Ok I checked mrmalty.com and it recomends a 6.8l starter. Does this sound correct? Guess I didnt think I would need 2 gal worth of starter. I did a 2q for a .080 ale and it firmented out in three day so I guessed a 3q for a .070 lager would be sufficient. I know you need more yeast for a lager, it just surprised me a little when I saw the amount on mrmalty.com.

It's calculated based on the age of your yeast, etc, so yes, I'd guess that's correct. Remember that these are optimum amounts. I don't always have the optimum amounts available but it's something to shoot for.

Latest posts

Back