root beer smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerman6

Reaction score
hi all ,i have acorny keg that i made root beer in for the kids and now i need to get the smell out of it and the taste of root beer out of my second tapper.what is the best way to do this.i tried 1-step and no luck.please help i need more beer !

1-step is a sanitizer, not a cleaner. Dismantle the keg, clean everything including rodding out the tubes, then reassemble with new o-rings. Put a couple quarts of beer line cleaner in it and run that through the tap.

I have a dedicated blackberry cider keg for similar reasons.

Beerman: Change out the o-rings. ;)

David: For some reason I knew you had dedicated kegs for specific flavors. It just makes sense if you brew a lot of it. :D With 25 cornies I will do the same...saves on o-rings...and peace of mind.;)

I don't have kegs, but to clear the taste of the RV antifreeze out of the water system, I use a baking soda solution. I don't know if there's any way it could damage a corny, though.

baking soda should be ok. you can also do a double or triple concentrated extended soak in star san after a blc cleaning. this would be for the faucet, dissasembled and soaked in these solutions.

for the keg, i would do a hot overnight soak in PBW, then replace the o-rings, and do another overnight soak in pbw. i would think that would get rid of the smell, and also make your keg extremely clean.

i personally just have a dedicated root beer keg (i also have 32 usable kegs though, so it is a bit easier)

hi ,me again i have only iodine ,easy clean and 1-step at my home as of now. will one of this do the job or is it a 30 mile trex to the HBS for me

I have a cornie that smelled horrible like 7-up when i got it. I used oxy-clean and let it sit for a couple of days and the smell was completly gone. it worked great.

You may want to change out the beer line in your kegerator too. It's very hard to get the root beer taste out of the lines.

you should have baking soda at home, so i would give that a try. if you have a walmart close by you can get some oxyclean like rcdirtbuggy recommended. you can also get some bar keepers friend at walmart to help clean the stainless, but you will still want to replace the gaskets. in the future, you may want to get more chemicals.

you could also try the easy clean, but i've never used it before.

Back