Homebrew Noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerninja14

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

just brewed my first batch this last Saturday. Amber ale.

Questions for everyone out there. The brew is fermenting in my closet now, but it dosent seem to be very active. The airlock is only moving about once every 8 seconds or so. Should I be worried?

Nope!

Give it a couple weeks, then check the gravity with your hydrometer. There are a few reasons why airlock activity is not a good indicator of fermentation; the most common of which being that the buckets don't always seal properly and/or the grommet/airlock seal is not tight.

Relax, don't worry, and have a beer. =)

Nope. As hard as it is forget about it for at least 2 weeks then check your gravity. If it's done you can then bottle or keg but it doesn't hurt to let it go for 4 weeks in primary. Just my 2¢

Nope. As hard as it is forget about it for at least 2 weeks then check your gravity. If it's done you can then bottle or keg but it doesn't hurt to let it go for 4 weeks in primary. Just my 2¢

thanks for the info. another question, the directions say to move from primary to secondary fermenter in one week. what would be the benefit of keeping it in the primary for 4 weeks, and after that, would i still move it to the secondary fermenter for another week.

thanks again for the imput!

thanks for the info. another question, the directions say to move from primary to secondary fermenter in one week. what would be the benefit of keeping it in the primary for 4 weeks, and after that, would i still move it to the secondary fermenter for another week.

thanks again for the imput!

This is a bit of a controversy. There some who believe that doing a secondary helps the beer. There are others who do not believe that a racking the beer to a secondary helps (most) beers unless you are doing an addition, say hops or coco.

I do not do a secondary for most of my beers, why? Because I am lazy. EuBrew was not suggesting that you should keep your beer in the primary for 4 weeks, just that you could and it wouldn't hurt it.

This is a bit of a controversy. There some who believe that doing a secondary helps the beer. There are others who do not believe that a racking the beer to a secondary helps (most) beers unless you are doing an addition, say hops or coco.

I do not do a secondary for most of my beers, why? Because I am lazy. EuBrew was not suggesting that you should keep your beer in the primary for 4 weeks, just that you could and it wouldn't hurt it.

Actually I WOULD suggest keeping your beer in primary for 4 weeks and skipping secondary unless like stated above you are adding a dry hop or other flavoring agent to the brew. I only secondary if I'm doing something like adding vanilla bean, or fruit (which doesn't happen unless the SWMBO makes me) I've even started dry hopping in my primary.

Back