How to pronounce...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've heard zots (like the audio file above) from people who seem to take care in their pronunciation of words.

huh... I swear they used a "y" sound. I was drinking though so... :drunk:

It may have sounded different depending on the region they are from. For example I can understand Hochdeutsch and Bayerisch (Erdinger is from Bayern), but Berlinerdeutsch, Hessisch, and Schwäbisch are impossible for me to understand even though almost all of the words are the same.

It may have sounded different depending on the region they are from. For example I can understand Hochdeutsch and Bayerisch (Erdinger is from Bayern), but Berlinerdeutsch, Hessisch, and Schwäbisch are impossible for me to understand even though almost all of the words are the same.

Ahh, I gotcha. Its like Dominicans and Cubans for me. They absoutely refuse to speak Spanish correctly. They put the inflections on the wrong parts of the words and overuse slang and they have this really annoying rhythmic structure to everything they say. Don't even get me started on the Mountain dialetcs of the Guatamalans. Impossible to understand!

As a speaker of German I would pronounce things like this:

tun = toon

Since tun in brewing is an English word which comes from the OE tunne, the pronunciation in the brewing idiom is pretty clear. Related to the Germanic tonne and Old Norse tunna. Pronounced the same way as the first syllable in town names as Tunbridge or Tunstall, which comes from the Anglo-Saxon root tún.

But if I remember my high-school German correctly, if the word were simply transferred to German, "toon" would be the literal pronunciation!

Bob

Quite right Bob, I wasn’t aware that tun was infact an English term. Brewing lingo is very convoluted due to our usage of words from several different languages.

Yeah! It's always been amusing to me that we vorlauf the runnings from our tun in which we lauter in order to get wort. But hey, English is a Germanic language, right?

:D

Bob

"Wuh-la-mit" is correct. I live in the Willamatte Valley, right down the road from the FDA Hop Research farms.

Maybe I'm reading your pronouncation wrong, but that doesn't look how I've heard it pronounced, and I live up here too. I've always heard "wuh-LAM-it".

Since tun in brewing is an English word which comes from the OE tunne, the pronunciation in the brewing idiom is pretty clear. Related to the Germanic tonne and Old Norse tunna. Pronounced the same way as the first syllable in town names as Tunbridge or Tunstall, which comes from the Anglo-Saxon root tún.

But if I remember my high-school German correctly, if the word were simply transferred to German, "toon" would be the literal pronunciation!

Bob
:off:
Sorry Bob, but it's Tonbridge (but pronounced Tunbridge). Of course there is Tunbridge Wells, but that's about 20 miles west. :)
But are you really going to use English pronunciations?
Consider the following:
Trunk - pronounced boot
Hood - pronounced bonnet
diacetyl - pronounced dia Sea tle see also diacetyl definition | Dictionary.com
St John - pronounced singe un
and my favourite
Featherstonehaugh - pronounce Fanshaw

-a.

If thats how you spell it, then why is it said the way you describe? Is it a the English bastardization of an old French word or something?

One thing I have never understood is words that have a different pronunciation than the letters that are in them. ( I speak a few other languages, and they don't do this, unless its slang)

Worcestershire is said: Woostasha

Why not just spell it that way?

Because it's funny to hear Americans call it war sester shire. :)

As a speaker of German I would pronounce things like this:

Saaz = sahtz
trub = troob
wort = vort
tun = toon
kräusen = kroy-zen
vorlauf = for-lowf
Reinheitsgebot = rine-heights-geh-boat (the 'geh' is normally not emphasized)
hefeweißen = heh-feh-vise-en
Hefeweizen = heh-feh-vi-tzen (the 'i' is a long i).

I'm glad to be vindicated by my German classes in college...

Lauter Tun..... is LAU TER TOON
and that W is a V peeps!!!! lol :ban::ban:

I thought "toon" was a troubled football club in the north of England??

100_0950.jpg

:off:
Sorry Bob, but it's Tonbridge (but pronounced Tunbridge). Of course there is Tunbridge Wells, but that's about 20 miles west. :)
But are you really going to use English pronunciations?
Consider the following:
Trunk - pronounced boot
Hood - pronounced bonnet
diacetyl - pronounced dia Sea tle see also diacetyl definition | Dictionary.com
St John - pronounced singe un
and my favourite
Featherstonehaugh - pronounce Fanshaw

-a.

:D

How about Fotheringay?

b

I looked up hefeweizen on google and found some sound bit pronunciations, there are two,

one is Hay fuh vitzen
the other is Hef uh vitzen

Wuh-ster sauce. It's easier :)

Easy to understand the confusion though. It's a bloody silly name named after a bloody silly county.
Somebody brought all those bloody silly names to Massachusetts. Worcester, Leicester, Leominster, Haverhill. Nobody outside the borders of Mass can pronounce those towns' names.

It's Wistah, Lestah, Lemonstah and Hey-v-rull.

Somebody brought all those bloody silly names to Massachusetts. Worcester, Leicester, Leominster, Haverhill. Nobody outside the borders of Mass can pronounce those towns' names.

It's Wistah, Lestah, Lemonstah and Hey-v-rull.

Hehe. I was in Plymouth a couple of years ago with my Brother and sister in law. (Great time btw) A couple of times, when asked where she was from, sister in law told them Manchester. Both times the reply was that they thought, by her accent that she was English, and were surprised she was from just up the road. :eek:

I find it funny that ten different people pronounce these words ten different ways. Therefore I trust none of you.;) And since I brew alone i'll pronounce these words any darn way I please. And yes, I do talk to myself when im brewing.

I find it funny that ten different people pronounce these words ten different ways. Therefore I trust none of you.;) And since I brew alone i'll pronounce these words any darn way I please. And yes, I do talk to myself when im brewing.

I talk to myself when I'm brewing too. Usually it's just short phrases like "You stupid ****" ...."You dopey %$#@" ...."Why the f$%^ did you do that!?" etc.

Invented what language? English?

English, like Norwegian, is a Germanic language...:D

AFAIK, Webster placed phonetic pronunciations in American dictionaries for the sole purpose that we lose our British accents.

English is more than Germanic, it is bastardised between tutonic (Germanic) Latin and French

Webster removed most of the French elements (Like U in colour) to seperate US English from English English. I can understand his motives, but it still seems a bit petty to me. ;)

English is more than Germanic, it is bastardised between tutonic (Germanic) Latin and French

Webster removed most of the French elements (Like U in colour) to seperate US English from English English. I can understand his motives, but it still seems a bit petty to me. ;)
Might be petty, but it sure saves on ink. Those stinkin' frogs like to mess with the language, putting all kinds of unpronounced letters in words (said the guy whose last name is Daigneault).
A quarter to anybody who can pronounce that.:)

Might be petty, but it sure saves on ink. Those stinkin' frogs like to mess with the language, putting all kinds of unpronounced letters in words (said the guy whose last name is Daigneault).
A quarter to anybody who can pronounce that.:)

dejno?.....(soft j)

I talk to myself when I'm brewing too. Usually it's just short phrases like "You stupid ****" ...."You dopey %$#@" ...."Why the f$%^ did you do that!?" etc.

Interesting, that's about how my conversations to myself go.
But after I taste my beer, I slap myself on the ass and yell, you da man!:D

lol since im in Texas we pronounce everything how it is spelled....and make sure to draw out the propuuuuur siiiiliiiiibullls.

I tell my friends in the UK that they might have invented the language, but we PERFECTED IT!

I've heard it said that Scots English is closer to Middle English than modern English English is. Whoever said that wasn't talking about Dundonian! :drunk:

"Twa pehs, a plehn ain an' an ingin ain anaw." Anyone care to translate?

Back