Northern Brewer kit suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyobrew22

Reaction score
I have tried kits from a couple of local places and now I want to branch out a bit more. I have heard good things about the Northern Brewer extract kits. I want to order two and one will be the dunkelweizen. Anyone have suggestions on the second? what have you tried and liked? is the dunkelweizen good?

I haven't brewed it myself yet, but a buddy of mine has and their Bell's Two Hearted Ale clone is pretty spot on.

Austin Homebrew Supply has a dunkelweizen kit on special for 19.99. Also if you order today prior to midnight shipping is free providing your order exceeds 39 bucks.

The American Amber is a nice choice. Nice caramel finish to it. I'd also recommend the Sierra Madre.

The St. Paul Porter and the Patersbier on both sitting in my on deck circle at the moment, so I can't comment on their taste. However, both also have really high ratings on the site.

any one of NB are really good, try a wheat and get some blueberry extract add after ferm and enjoy for the nice spring to come.

Austin Homebrew Supply has a dunkelweizen kit on special for 19.99. Also if you order today prior to midnight shipping is free providing your order exceeds 39 bucks.

I was just on the AHS site and didn't see any shipping special. Do you have a code for this?

I have an Irish Red in transit as we speak, seems like one of most popular/favorite styles. I can't wait to get it going.

My previous batches were both Brewers Best kits. I made fatal errors with the first batch, and the second batch was pretty good. I've heard the quality difference from BB to Northern/Midwest/Austin kits is like night and day. Should I expect to get a better quality beer from Northern?

Just polished off my batch of NB Honey Kolsch. It was great! I drank the last glass very slowly, swirling it and holding it to the light to watch the bubbles. It was actually one the better batches of beer I've ever made. I was really sad to see it go. I highly recommend it. The added bonus is that it's one of their more inexpensive kits.

I love their BLACK IPA kit. Kind of unusual, first time I had ever heard of/tried a black IPA

I was browsing their site the other day and this kit really intrigued me. What is the flavor profile like on a black IPA? Is it the same as a normal IPA just black in color?

Recently made the NB Irish Red, Petite Saison d'Ete, ESB, and RyePA partial mash. The first two are carbing up, the ESB is cold crashing and the RyePA is just past two weeks in the fermenter getting dry hopped for a few more days. So too soon to know about quality.

Having said that...I absolutely loved the partial mash process and would recommend giving it a go for anyone doing extracts. Same equipment (need one extra pot to heat up five quarts of sparge water) but a cool introduction to mashing and from what I can tell based upon my hydrometer sample, the flavour is great.

Ive just started drinking their ESB I brewed back in Feb. and so far its very good. I just ordered their Bourbon Barrel Porter but haven't brewed it yet.

Bottled their Rogue Dead Guy clone, Grateful Dead Guy, last night, and the hydrometer sample tasted pretty darn good...we'll see in about a month. I was really pleased with their ingredients/instructions.

Thanks everyone for all the respnses. I think I am going to go with the Dunkelweizen and the Patersbier

I was browsing their site the other day and this kit really intrigued me. What is the flavor profile like on a black IPA? Is it the same as a normal IPA just black in color?

Very interesting looking kit.

Incidentally, the fact that Northern Brewer posts all their recipes for their kits online is one of the reasons that I like ordering from them; you know what you're getting:

It uses 6 different hops (summit, simcoe, centennial, cascade, amarillo, and ahtanum for dry hopping).

On top of the base grains, there's 1/2 lb Caramel 80L, 1/4 lb dehusked Carafa III, and 1/4 lb of Chocolate malt.

Back