Anyone ferment in used cooking oil jugs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I have in the past. Hard to clean out but worked. I'm considering usin them again cause I believe I can for two in my small fridge to achieve proper fermentation. Let's hear some input.

I wouldn't for 2 reasons:
1. I have other vessels better suited for fermenting readily accessible.
2. I'd be worried about any oil residue killing the beer's head retention.

That being said, if you can clean them out really well and it works for you then more power to ya.

Oil---needs really really good cleaning solution to remove.
Plastics can leach contents/cleaning solutions into the plastic.
I, too, would not use anything but clean food-grade plastic for brewing. Why take chances? Then again, you could be on to something and if space is a concern, more power to ya! (sounds like you're lagering, too, good on ya!)

I am sure that if the containers were used for cooking oil they would be plenty safe for brewing. (assuming you aren't doing a no chill brew, in which case you need to assure your container is heat rated to 180 or so.) I would have the same concern as Yuri. Plastic and fat molecules are very similar and do not like to let go of each other. I'd use a fairly strong OxiClean solution AND let it sit in the sun for a couple hours just for starters. The problem is that until you brew up a batch you won't know if you've managed to remove all the oil. It should be doable it just takes some time and effort, and the possibility of a batch of beer or 2 with bad head retention.

I remember Grandpa made country wine in lard buckets among other things. But I think that may have been a different type of plastic. I don't remember I was to young. Anyone remember Snow Cap Lard from around 1980?

Back