Sanitzer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clt2DC

Reaction score
I am out of one step sanitizer and i can't get to my LHBS till sat. Is there something I can substitute that I can get at the grocery store. I would use bleach but this for a keg and I have read on here that that is a no-no.

Thanks

In a pinch like this, I would clean really well with oxyclean, and rinse with plenty of water. As long as you're on a municipal supply, you should have a slight bit of residual chlorine. Just make sure your final rinse is cold water only - not hot - you don't want to introduce water from your hot water tank. As long as the keg remains refrigerated, you'll probably be fine.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Homemade_No_Rinse_Sanitizer

I searched for DIY NRS (No rinse sanitizer) Those directions come from the top guy at StarSan. It is not as good as star san meaning it does not break down into yeast food but in a pinch should work out just fine. This has and will be my "OH #@^*&@ I am out of StarSan and it is Sunday!" (My LHBS is closed on Sundays.)

GL

FWIW The boiling water is a good idea as well. You can also mix Everclear with some water to make a sudo NRS but these are REALLY hard on plastics like Autosiphon tubes and racking canes...

Back