Largest single-dose keg hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgs

Reaction score
For those of you that have dry hopped in the keg, what is the largest single dose you have used & then left in for the duration of your keg?

Not interested in:

1. dry hops in primary
2. dry hops in secondary before kegging
3. any doses that get removed

What's the biggest dose you've dropped in and left in?

Oh, and please specify if you used pellets vs. whole (or maybe plugs, I guess).

And the standard definition of "keg" for the purposes of this discussion is a 5 gallon corny keg.

Thanks!

I have used up to two ounces in a 5 gallon keg, always whole hops in a nylon bag with enough weight to sink it. I leave 'em in until the keg kicks...

Cheers!

I've got 6 oz in my double IPA keg... there's almost a gin amount of citrus peel going on... but I dig it.

Not trying to have a pissing contest thread, though...

I mean, I already know the Northern Brewer Surly Furious recipe calls for 8.5 oz of pellets in a dry hop dose, but they don't call that a keg hop.

I did a lot of searching before I made this thread and it seems like everyone sticks to 1-3 oz, or up to 3 oz in a dose - then take that out and add a fresh dose in the keg. I couldn't really find examples of people who had just thrown 6 oz in the keg.

So, I did it. We'll see how it turns out!

I mean it honest to God smells like someone zested 13 oranges, limes and lemons and jammed the zest in my nostril... This was 3.0 oz. Simcoe + 3.0 oz. Amarillo... and they've only been in there 2 days and it's not carbed yet...

I have two ss tea balls filled with cascade pellets in an Alpha King clone. I am not sure how much that equals in oz's, but as I sip and type, it seems jusssst right.:mug:

Back