Any ideas for my 6th batch of beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerWomb

Reaction score
After a long layover from not brewing anything due to my last college semesters, I am now brewing at full strength. I recently made 2 batches a week ago (On the 4th and 7th of May).

Note: I brew 5 gallons. The first one was an experimental pale ale using what I had left over before the lengthly layover. Those leftovers were as follows:

3.75 LB Cooper Pilsner LME
19.4 oz Mr. Beer Grand Boehiem LME
1 Lb the infamous Mr. Beer Booster
1 oz Liberty Hops (Boil at 60 min)
.5 oz Amarillo Hops (Finishing Hops to augment the flavor of Amarillo in Grand Boehiem LME)
1 pkg. Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast
1 and 3/4 cups of DME for priming sugar.

I plan to primary ferm for 2 weeks. (One week has passed and activity in airlock has already peaked and is starting to decline.) I will siphon to secondary ferm for probably 1 to 2 weeks. (I haven't decided if I will ferm at below room temperature or at the same room temperature. After those weeks, I will siphon to bottling bucket with the DME for bottling. Dry condition for a week then cold condition.

Like I said those stuff was just leftovers and I wanted to see what kind of ale it would become.

My other batch of beer is the Itsok Kolsch Lager found in Charles Papazian book. I am following that recipe to a T, but pitched it with White Lab Kolsch yeast and lagering at 48-55 F for 2 weeks then secondary ferm. I am not sure whether I should leave the second ferm in 72 F (room temperature) for 2-3 days to allow "diayectal" rest? or leave the second ferm in the fridge at adjusted temperature of 38-42 F?

Anyway, we have time to answer those questions since I have brewed those 2 batches in the past week.

And now for my next batch? I was recently given 5 Lb of Briess Wheat LME. I also have some Perle, Saaz, Tettnager, and Northern Brewer Hops awaiting orders. What are your ideas for the next 2 batches?

Tips: I am open to any type of beers too. Lager, Ale, Stout, Porter, Wheat, IPA, and others.

Since you have Wheat LME, why not whip up a wheat? Seems kina obvious. Figure anything you brew now will be ready early July-ish. I currently have a Raspberry Wheat (my first recipe from scratch) that I should be bottling around today, but have to go out of town for the next week. I can't WAIT to taste it. I don't know that I'd go with a heavier beer just yet. Stouts in the summer aren't that appealing to me, at least in mid summer. Late summer-cool fall nights.... different story.

I'd say something along the lines of either a Wheat or an IPA.

Yeah. I kind of knew my next beer would be a wheat. I was just asking for suggestions for a brew after the wheat one ha since I will have 2 fermentation buckets freed up.

I live in south Louisiana. (Lafayette, Louisiana) I would be open to any stouts or porters that I could brew in preparation for the fall season. Summers here in Louisiana is completely crazy. High Humidity during daytime, but it can drop to 75 or lower degree on summer nights.

Maybe I should try to focus on making more of lagers.

Its all relative. Up here in Chicago, the high is in the low 60s today. 75 at night is very nice, especially in the summers.

Go with what you like and what sounds like something you would like, the rest of us be damned. If you feel like a stout or a porter, by all means go for it. Lagers are tricky becuase you have to ferment them at much cooler temperatures than the others. Think 50's. If you can do it, then go for it.

Yeah. I can brew lagers. I have a fridge and a chest freezer. I am awaiting my temperature controller to come in so I can convert my chest freezer into a lagering chest!

How about soaking oak chips in Dr. Loosen's Riesling for a period of time then adding that flavor to an IPA beer? How do you think that would work?

I think the oak in an IPA would be pretty good. I'm not framiliar enough with the flavor of Rieslings to know how that would work out. Why not make a 1/2 batch and give it a shot?

Octoberfest would be a good choice if you can lager. Otherwise either my next batch or the one after that is going to be a RIS, Barleywine, or Wee Heavy for the wintertime. Of course, I won't be able to brew until early July because I'm moving soon.

I would use that wheat for a Hoegarden-ish beer, flavored with coriander and orange peel, because it would be perfectly refreshing for summer. One tip though--a thing that I see in a lot of recipes is to add all the coriander in the last 10 minutes of boil, which is good, but you can add some more in the last couple of minutes or at flameout to give it a little extra aroma.

Good luck with whatever you make!

I made a traditional British IPA by using Oak Chips. There's my vote. I like burping up hop resins hours after I've drank the beer.

Latest posts

Back