What's a fair trade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engine3lt

Reaction score
A friend of mine just brought me 2 plastic cases of Lohrer 1/2 liter bottles. He flies to Germany with the Air Guard a couple of times a year and brings back a personal supply.

What's your basic rule of thumb on a good deed like this one? How many bottles of homebrew to repay this? I want to keep them coming, but I don't want to completely drain my short supply.

Thanks.

Who says you have to give him all the beer at once? Let's say you feel it's worth a case of beer for those emptys...so you give him one of 2 sixers from this batch, another 6 from the next batch, and another 6 from the thrid when that's ready? I mean if he's bringing you bottles, you do plan on keeping brewng right? So your pipeline will be growing.

Oh yeah, I definitely plan on continuing to brew. If anything, I'm going to pick it up a notch. I like the 6 pack of each batch approach. I'll barely feel that. Thanks for the advice.

Just off the top of your head, do these take european caps or standard?

I usually give people back 1/4 of the bottles they bring me full. So if they bring 24, they get a 6-pack full. Of course, those bottles come right back to me, and I have a net gain besides that.

half liter german (european) bottles use the same crowns that are standard here.

The only problem I have with the half sterns is the lower flange is just barely to low for my red capper. I have to make sure it's in full contact pushing down as I cap. I bend up a few caps and one time one did not carbonate. Bench capper FTW.

Back