Traditional Peanut Brittle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just made some peanut brittle with fresh Virginia peanuts. It turned out really good. I used the recipe at this link (copied below).

2 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup water
2 cups raw Spanish peanuts
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp. baking soda

Heat and stir sugar, syrup and water in a heavy 3-quart saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Add salt. Cook over medium heat to soft ball stage (234 degrees). Add peanuts at 250 degrees. Cook to hard crack stage (290 degrees), stirring often. Remove from heat.

Quickly, stir in butter and soda. Beat to a froth for a few seconds. Pour at once onto 2 well-buttered 15-1/2x10-1/2x1-inch pans, spreading with spatula. If desired, cool slightly and pull with forks to stretch thin. Break up when cold.

Yield: About 1-1/2 pounds of peanut brittle.

Pair with a sweet porter or stout (peanut butter stout perhaps?).

4688-brittle.jpg

That picture makes me miss my grandmother. When I was a kid visiting her, she'd always make a batch in a huge cast iron pan, and I'd be sent home with a tin full. It looked exactly like your picture.

Still, I'm not sure I'd drink a beer with it...

Reminds me of Grandma too. Used to have this stuff all the time around the holidays. One of those things that's easy to make, but always seem to find an excuse not to.

Back