A Successful Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papillon

Reaction score
Hey fellow brewers,

I'm still new here but I thought I'd share with you an experiment I did while I had the good fortune of living in the country on a river shore some years ago and had unlimited open space to deal with the mess and stink that comes with doing all-grain mash beer.

The batch was boiled over an open fire outside and the hopping was done with the Hallertau and Saaz strains. The time of year was November. After the boil, the kettle was fast-cooled by sitting it in a pile of snow on a cold night.

The primary ferment was done in a cool basement with an imported Austrian yeast culture. After dry-hopping and siphoning into the carboy, I tripple-wrapped the carboy in plastic garbage bags, rigged up a long piece of siphon hose between the carboy and the fermentation lock, placed it in a 5-gallon bucket, tied a piece of rope to the bucket handle, and lowered the set-ip into the water off the end of the dock just as the ice was beginning to form. The fermentation lock was filled with vodka so it wouldn't freeze and it poked just above the end of the dock while everything else dangled under the water. A long slow cold secondary ferment would follow over the winter months.

I retrieved the set-up in late March as the ice was beginning to open up and everything was as I had left it back in November. I re-yeasted / primed the batch and the results were nothing short of sensational. The taste has to be experienced to descibe it. The beer was brilliantly clear, had fine bubbles, and a head that was like whipped cream when poured.

If I ever get the good luck of living on a waterfront again, I'd most certainly contemplate this method again. Has anybody here ever done anything like that? I'd like to hear about it and share your successes.

Even alcohol freezes. How you got away without the carboy busting is beyond me but hey, if it worked for you, congrats.

I don't doubt that a great lager would be made that way.

Sounds risky.....I like it. Glad it turned out well. I've been think of boiling over a wood/characoal fire for a while. Did this add anything to the beer, smokiness/etc?

If I lived on a lake, I could see lagering in cornies by sealing it up, roping it off and hucking it out into 4' deep water. It will never quite freeze but should sit around 35 over the winter. Sounds like fun. In any case, I seriously recommend using cornies instead of carboys. This one little detail is itching at me, making me want to call this story bullsheeet. Ah, maybe benefit of doubt.

landhoney said:
Sounds risky.....I like it. Glad it turned out well. I've been think of boiling over a wood/characoal fire for a while. Did this add anything to the beer, smokiness/etc?

Actually, no. If anything the beer turned out cleaner-tasting with the very vigorous boil produced by an open fire as opposed to a less-vigorous boil had from an electric burner. I was actually scooping out the hot-break flakes with a strainer, and no, they weren't ashes ;-)

Bobby_M said:
If I lived on a lake, I could see lagering in cornies by sealing it up, roping it off and hucking it out into 4' deep water. It will never quite freeze but should sit around 35 over the winter. Sounds like fun. In any case, I seriously recommend using cornies instead of carboys. This one little detail is itching at me, making me want to call this story bullsheeet. Ah, maybe benefit of doubt.

Well hey, I wouldn't be posting such a story if I didn't succeed. You are correct with your theory of the beer sitting around 35. Yes, the water there was about 4' deep but with the river being moving water, the ice never formed thick enough to walk on. Either way, cornies would probably be safer to use if I had them.

On a lake with thicker ice, I can easily see the risk of glass carboys breaking unless they are set 10' down or deeper.

Any more engineering minds amongs you brewers?

:mug:

Hey, this gives me a good idea for this winter. I could put a couple of cornies into my pool over the winter. Water temp will only get down to around 45 but should allow me to lager fairly easily and cheaply. My only worry would be if one of the seals leaked.

Bobby_M said:
If you were to do this, how would you go about releasing the CO2?

Back