Hops and trub in fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhite60

Reaction score
It got late brewing a batch this past Saturday. Instead of taking the additional time to siphon out of my brew-pot to the fermentor I just dumped it all in. Hop pellet remains, trub, everything.

I did this once before and had a tough time getting the yeast started. The next day I siphoned it into another fermentor and within hours it took off.

The current batch is bubbling along just fine so the yeast is happy. What are the possible side effects of all that stuff left in there? I'm tempted to rack it but don't want to take it off the yeast.

All the Best,
D. White

i do that too, i think many on here dump the pot into the fermentor. i don't think it's a problem.

I've always done that. No problems ever. I am considering starting to do the whole siphon from kettle to fermentor thing just because it might make for an easier carboy cleaning after fermentation.

From what I've seen, the side effects of having all that stuff dumped into the fermenter is you have all that stuff in the fermenter. That seems to be all that happens, you end up with a little thicker yeast cake with hops mostly at the bottom. If you use a bucket fermenter, it's very easy to clean it out there whereas filtering it when siphoning is sure to clog up the filter.

So if one is planning to save the yeast, and store it for future batches, would having all the extra stuff in there be a problem then? Thanks

The yeast I used in this came from a gallon of mead I racked while waiting for the wort to cool. First time I've re-pitched. This is actually a fruit beer. I made a one gallon batch of wort and added a gallon of pateurized peach cider. Starting gravity on this is 1.100. I had to add 2 lbs of honey to it to get it there.

All the Best,
D. White

So if one is planning to save the yeast, and store it for future batches, would having all the extra stuff in there be a problem then? Thanks

no, because it settles out faster than the yeast when you wash it.

trub and hop debris are thought to be an issue with lagers, but from what i've experienced and read, it doesn't make a huge impact on ales.

Latest posts

Back