Bulk aging vs bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McNulty

Reaction score
I have a 6.8 abv smoked porter that was 2 weeks in primary and now it's 1 day in the secondary. At week's end, better to cold crash 1 more week then bottle or better to bulk age 2 more weeks in secondary at the same 69F as it has been and then bottle? Looking for everyone's favorite approach in this situation rather than a definitive answer. Also it should be noted that once bottled it will be enjoyed immediately and thoroughly.
:mug:

I've found that bulk aging brings a beer to it's prime faster than bottle conditioning.

for example... I can brew a beer and give it three weeks in the fermenter and then bottle. Once it carbs it, it'll take another three weeks in the bottle before it really starts to taste like it's ready. But if I brew the same beer and give it FOUR weeks in the fermenter, it'll often taste ready as soon as it's carbed. Like that one week in the fermenter did the work of three weeks in the bottles.

No scientific data on this or anything. Just what my tongue tells me.

If you're going to drink it as soon as it's carbonated, then let it sit in the secondary for an extra week.

I let everything sit in primary for a month. Unless I'm dry hopping or it's a style that doesn't need that long, ie: Bob's Session Mild.

I have a 6.8 abv smoked porter that was 2 weeks in primary and now it's 1 day in the secondary. At week's end, better to cold crash 1 more week then bottle or better to bulk age 2 more weeks in secondary at the same 69F as it has been and then bottle? Looking for everyone's favorite approach in this situation rather than a definitive answer. Also it should be noted that once bottled it will be enjoyed immediately and thoroughly.

Why cold crash a Smoked Porter?

It is my understanding that cold crashing drops a lot of yeast out of suspension. I am interested in less yeast in my bottles unless it's a hefeweizen. Thank you guys for your opinions on this matter, you've all been very helpful as always.

Most of my ales get 10 days in primary, 10 days in secondary, and 21 days to bottle condition. When I go this route, I don't ever get yeast in the bottle and I don't ever mess with cold crashing. Now that being said, my ales usually aren't even close to crystal clear, but I have absolutely no problem with that.

Back