Forgot to Verlauf on one of two batch sparges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
I brewed a rye red ale today--on the first batch of the batch sparge, I forgot to verlauf.

I'm not sure what the consequences of this will be: a cloudier beer from the starches, maybe? I'm not really worried about tannins or the like--the slots on my manifold are very small and my first runnings are always pretty clear.

cweston said:
I brewed a rye red ale today--on the first batch of the batch sparge, I forgot to verlauf.

I'm not sure what the consequences of this will be: a cloudier beer from the starches, maybe? I'm not really worried about tannins or the like--the slots on my manifold are very small and my first runnings are always pretty clear.
Just a brain fart. Your recipes and techniques have always been very good from my observation. If there is a big effect from this I am sure you will keep us posted. Is that recipe somewhere? It sounds rather interesting.

dibby: Just my creative spelling of "vorlauf" :cross:

Blender: The red rye recipe is in my .sig

I suspect there will be no real difference, as the particles which made it into the kettle will settle out. Starches are small enough that they would get into your ale regardless. If your conversion process completed, they shouldn't be a problem.

Back