Canned Pumpkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
Just in case anyone is making a Pumpkin Ale soon -- Whole Foods has 15oz canned "organic" pumpkin -- 2 for $2.50.

This is the "unspiced" -- just pure pumpkin, which is probably what you want to use.

how much would you put in a 5 gallon batch. the recipe i'm using calls for 3 to 4 lbs of 1 inch pumpkin cubes. i imagine the canned pumpkin is more concentrated, or am i thinking too much into it?

how much would you put in a 5 gallon batch. the recipe i'm using calls for 3 to 4 lbs of 1 inch pumpkin cubes. i imagine the canned pumpkin is more concentrated, or am i thinking too much into it?

I'm going to use (4) 15oz cans --
and then mash it in my MLT along with base grains and specialty grains.

I'm brewing Northern Brewer Smashing Pumpkin Kit -- it calls for a 8lb Pumpkin, but doesn't mention using canned in place of.

I'm sure you could do a search in the forum and get a pretty good idea how much others are using when adding canned pumpkin.

I just used 2 smaller cans (I think 8 oz) of the same stuff from whole foods in a 6 gallon batch yesterday. It seemed like more than enough and gave the wort a very distinct orange color that I was very happy with. I suppose you could use more, but from what I've read it doesn't add much flavor, just color and some mouthfeel. The spices are what make this beer really distinct in the aroma department. I'm hoping the brown sugar contributes as well> I used 1lbs of brown sugar at the start of the boil.
The wort smelled amazing when it was done. I can't wait to try this one!

The cans you get from whole foods... Do you just add the purée directly in the barrel that you ferment in?

I think the most highly recommended thing to do is to add the canned pumpkin to the mash tun.
Might want to add a couple lbs of rice hulls to the mash tun also.

It is mainly to add color -- it might add some taste. The spices are what will really add the flavor.

I wouldn't add it to the boil pot either.
Too many solids.

I just brewed a Pumpkin Imposter ale yesterday. Shaws didn't have canned pumpkin so I wound up getting 3 lbs 8 oz of sweet potato yams. Threw 'em in the mash tun. Yam beer. Just say it. Yam beer. I poured the juice from the can in a measuring cup which I steeped nutmeg and cinnamon in, adding it to the boil with ten minutes left. The scent of yam was noticeable in the boil just from being mashed.

Mmmm (...?) Well I'll raise my glass to trying something new!

The cans you get from whole foods... Do you just add the purée directly in the barrel that you ferment in?

Nope, I add them directly to the mash tun when I dough in. Then they mash with the grist for 60 mins. Some people say you can add it to the boil kettle as well, but you'll get more pumpkin flavor that way and that's not what I was going for. I just wanted the color and additional body that its supposed to add.

Back