midwest imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dansmith13

Reaction score
Anyone ever make this extract kit? It comes with a packet of dry ale yeast and a packet of dry champagne yeast. The directions don't specify to pitch both together or one in primary and one in secondary, etc. So I emailed them and they responded that I should pitch the ale yeast in the primary and then pitch the champagne yeast right before bottling to ensure carbonation. I've never made an imperial stout before, let alone any stout but this didn't sound right to me.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any replies... :mug:

dansmith13 said:
Anyone ever make this extract kit? It comes with a packet of dry ale yeast and a packet of dry champagne yeast. The directions don't specify to pitch both together or one in primary and one in secondary, etc. So I emailed them and they responded that I should pitch the ale yeast in the primary and then pitch the champagne yeast right before bottling to ensure carbonation. I've never made an imperial stout before, let alone any stout but this didn't sound right to me.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any replies... :mug:
that's right. it's a high alcohol brew that will require a fair amount of time for full fermentation and aging before bottling... the high alcohol will kill a bunch of the ale yeast and the long aging will settle a lot of it out. so, pitching the champagne yeast right before bottling along with adding priming sugar will ensure proper carbonation since the champagne yeast can handle the higher alcohol content...
hope that helps.
:mug:

Thanks for the reassurance. I appreciate it. Any thoughts on how long secondary fermentation should be? I'm in no rush but I'm just wondering because I've heard as long as a year in the secondary.

dansmith13 said:
Thanks for the reassurance. I appreciate it. Any thoughts on how long secondary fermentation should be? I'm in no rush but I'm just wondering because I've heard as long as a year in the secondary.
i've never brewed an imperial stout, but i would bet that 6-12 months would benefit this brew greatly...
essentially, just leave it in there as long as you can stand to wait....
what's the recipe? how big of a beer is this?

Extract kit ingredients::
6 lbs dark malt extract liquid
6 lbs amber malt extract liquid
Roasted barley malt, Crystal malt, and Chocolate malt mix
3 oz Galena bittering hops
Willamette aroma hops
ale yeast
champagne yeast
priming sugar

Back