maltodextrin powder and sweeteners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keibatsu

Reaction score
I have made a few home made syrups for my soda, made cream soda and root beer using root beer extract. I have used normal baking sugar and it seems to almost not mix well with the flavor. You can taste the sweetness of the sugar separately from the flavor of the soda, it is kinda hard to explain but something seems off. For example for the root beer I made, you could taste the sugary sweetness and the root beer flavor individually, instead of it just tasting like root beer soda. What sweeteners do you guys use to carry the flavor better? I have considered using brown sugar for root beer or light corn syrup. Also I have read a bit about Maltodextrin and am wondering if maybe that is what my syrups are missing, it seems it is meant to give the soda body and to carry the flavor. What are your opinions on sweeteners and maltodextrin, and where can I get it?

Keibatsu said:
I have made a few home made syrups for my soda, made cream soda and root beer using root beer extract. I have used normal baking sugar and it seems to almost not mix well with the flavor. You can taste the sweetness of the sugar separately from the flavor of the soda, it is kinda hard to explain but something seems off. For example for the root beer I made, you could taste the sugary sweetness and the root beer flavor individually, instead of it just tasting like root beer soda. What sweeteners do you guys use to carry the flavor better? I have considered using brown sugar for root beer or light corn syrup. Also I have read a bit about Maltodextrin and am wondering if maybe that is what my syrups are missing, it seems it is meant to give the soda body and to carry the flavor. What are your opinions on sweeteners and maltodextrin, and where can I get it?

I use 2 1/2 T Maltodextrin per gal. Heightens the sweeteners and provides a better mouth feel.

I'm totally new to this - I am still in the "gathering stuff" stage and haven't even made my first recipe yet, so if I'm off base don't kill me.. :) But from what I understand maltodextrin doesn't really do anything for the sweetness in soda, it's just a 'heading' agent. I know it is used as a fluffy carrier medium for sucralose (Splenda) in order to make it a "cup for cup" replacement..

If the flavors aren't combining on the palate, I would think that they were not boiled together for a long enough period. Maybe also try using a finer milled sugar?

Back