Opinions on use of false bottom as hopback in Blichmann Boilermaker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well more of a leaf hop filter I was thinking. I make a pretty decent DIPA and I wanted to step up the aroma/flavor contribution and I have a bunch of leaf hops I don't typically use so I was thinking of throwing in 3 oz of simcoe, amarillo and citra at 5 minutes left in the boil and see what happens. I already have a good means to deal with pellet hops:

photo-6.jpg

The false bottom will not work very well. My suggestion is to put a bigger bag on what you already have. Most people here use the 5 gallon paint strainer bags.

OK I tried the false bottom last night ands it actually worked great. My therminator flowed freely during the chill and trub to my filtering funnel was minimal. I slammed this batch with over a pound of hops (8 oz pellet, 9 oz leaf). I was worried that the boil would be affected by the false bottom being in place but it was smooth as usual. No issues. I was having issues with my hop stopper as it ages. The last three big IPA's all clogged up so I was thinking of better ways to skin this cat...

photo-7.jpg

photo-8.jpg

Back