CO2 Regulator really hard to adjust

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtduffy

Reaction score
My CO2 regulator is REALLy hard to adjust. I have to use pliers or vice grips to turn the screw. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I would be very cautious taking apart a regulator that operates @ 750 psi.

It's hold pressure fine, and worked for kegs already filled. I would just like to keg a home brew eventually and with it being so hard to adjust I don't feel comfortable wrenching on it too much. I just didn't know if this was common and had an easy fix. Worst case i'll purchase a new one.

What's the harm in taking it apart? Disconnect the gas and open it up. Mine worked fine for a year then suddenly pressurized my keg to 30 psi. I opened it up and re-seated the diaphram inside and it works like new.

I lubricated the threads on mine and it fixed it. I used tri-flo once, and wd40 another time. There are other members on here who will tell you not to use those lubricants, and to use something else (I think something like white lightning bike chain grease, I can't remember). Either way, I think your short-term problem will be fixed. The white lightning stuff might make the problem go away for longer.

My CO2 regulator is really hard to adjust. I need to use a pair of vice grips to turn the screw. Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

How old is your regulator? I used some penetrating lube from the local autostore on mine (I wanna say its called PB2). Anways, dont saturate it, just shoot a quick burst onto it, and it should loosten things up. Also, you dont want a regulator to be to loose, they are suppose to be adjusted with a screwdriver or wrench, not finger tightening.

I picked up the regulator used so I'm not sure how old it is. I'll try to lube it this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

There are a number of regulators out there with aluminum bodies, rather than brass. They are prone to thread galling. I like liquid graphite for lubing the threads.

Always used plain paraffin wax on threaded items at the body shop for things we didn't want petroleum products near. Like regulators and spray guns.

why? as long as it isn't under pressure when you dissassemble it, it's safe....

It's not the dis-assembly I have concerned with, it is the reassembly and then use of a regulator. I work for a a company that manufactures industrial regulators. You would be surprised how many accidents take place from regulators being taken apart and put back together improperly then pressurized.

I probably should have used a touch of silicone grease on the threads, but being lazy I just put a very light coat of chapstick on the threads. Huge improvement. I just threaded the adjustment screw out most of the way, put a touch of chapstick on, and problem solved.

chapstick or wax is good to use; much better than petrolium products like WD40 that will degrade the rubber diaphragm inside the regulator. silicone or white grease will also work fine.

Are you supposed to release pressure on the regulator to adjust the knob?
you arent supposed to need to. try unscrewing the knob all the way and coating the threads with one of the above lubricants. the reason its hard is because the end of the screw pushes against the diphragm. any friction between the screw and the metal insert on the diaphragm, or the threads themselves, will make it hard to turn. reducing the friction makes it easier.

chapstick or wax is good to use; much better than petrolium products like WD40 that will degrade the rubber diaphragm inside the regulator. silicone or white grease will also work fine.

you arent supposed to need to. try unscrewing the knob all the way and coating the threads with one of the above lubricants. the reason its hard is because the end of the screw pushes against the diphragm. any friction between the screw and the metal insert on the diaphragm, or the threads themselves, will make it hard to turn. reducing the friction makes it easier.

Thanks I will try that.

Back