Guide to Mash Temperature Effects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyc

Reaction score
I just completed my first AG batch of brown ale over the weekend!!! :mug:

It held steady at 152F for 60 min. My main question was if there is a guide to the effects of the mash temperature on the outcome of the beer. I've heard such things as lower temp. = better fermentability and high = sweeter. I notice most AG recipes include a mash temp... but I'd like to learn more about what exactly that temperature difference can do to a beer.

Thanks guys

Looks like I found the answers I was looking for... unless anyone wants to add something else.

bobbyc said:
Looks like I found the answers I was looking for... unless anyone wants to add something else.

If you are really into knowing exactly what enzymes are activated/deactivated at given temps, I suggest that you get a brewing science textbook and get into the chemistry of the mash.

However, if you are simply in it to know the effects on the final beer, it sounds like you already get it. Temps arount 148-149 get you a drier and more alcoholic beer. Temps from 150-152 are a less strong and have more "body"/not as dry. Above that and the beer gets sweeter and the body is fuller, etc.

Now, once you get into step mashing . . . .:( . . uh, I have no clue.

Yeah, I just wanted to know the basics, for now. I'll probably stick to single step for a while!

Back