You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you burn the crap out of your hand making a yeast starter, and when people ask if your going to stop brewing, you say "huh?"

When you need money to upgrade your brewing equipment, so you sell random gear you had laying around the house...

Now the big question is.... Do I go for another 20 gallon Blichmann boilermaker

or go for a 15gallon for a HLT and the ability to brew 5 gallon batches. Decisions decisions...

You don't let anyone borrow the kids old sleeping bag because it's your mash tun insulator!

When you watch your airlock more than you watch tv, and you find the 'bloop bloop bloop' sound relaxing (that sound drives my boyfriend crazy).

Try brewing him his favorite beer and explain that you can make it for him at a fraction of the cost and that those little bloops are money going into the bank.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Home Brew mobile app

You are watching Breaking Bad today for the first time, thinking to yourself, "Man that meth lab would make an AWESOME brewery!"

When you make beer and know you will never stop making it. You may take breaks and what not but you will know you will always do it. Cuz its awesome. And learned how to make great beer.

You are watching Breaking Bad today for the first time, thinking to yourself, "Man that meth lab would make an AWESOME brewery!"

I kept seeing carboys all over the show crusted with meth mung and couldn't help but feel disgusted that they were ruining perfectly good fermentors with such a nasty substance.

But there is a LOT of useful equipment for brewing in the master lab... I would love to try to brew in it.

I kept seeing carboys all over the show crusted with meth mung and couldn't help but feel disgusted that they were ruining perfectly good fermentors with such a nasty substance.

But there is a LOT of useful equipment for brewing in the master lab... I would love to try to brew in it.

If they made beer illegal again, you could make a small fortune brewing and could afford all that equipment...

Same here. Every time I bust out the Erlenmeyer for a starter I feel like Heisenberg.

I just picked up a 15gal blichmann boilermaker to go with my 20gal. With all that pretty stainless, my next brew will feel like I'm in the show...

All I need now is a hazmat suit... Gonna use my secret ingredient—Chilli P, Yo!

boomy.jpg

This... This makes me a homebrewer. I can't wait to convert this into an Electric Herms system. If you can't tell, I'm super excited!

Gotta love Craig's list! Not bad for $430 total that includes the false bottom for the 20gal and a hop blocker came with the 15 gallon

The best part of this is for just over a year I've been wheeling and dealing homebrewing equipment off Craig's list. I'll see something cheap that I can fix, modify or simply turn over. I'll swing in and buy it. Then keep what I need and resell the rest for a profit. So I've been upgrading slowly this way.

I probably have no out of pocket money invested in these pots.

For example I bought a lot of gear from a guy for $200. It came with ball lock kegs, carboys, immersion chiller (a nice professional one) a keggle... Etc. I sold the keggle for $150 then the chiller for $100 then kept the ball locks and profited $50 and the other gear.

I'd buy carboys for $10 and resell for $25/30. I would get sankey kegs for $25 and resell for $50... Etc.

It's been fun, but a lot of work.... I've met some crazies and I've met some awesome people. One guy was an actor from LA. I IMDBed him. He was in quite a few things. They all had their stories and different brewing goals.

When I started doing this, my goal was to eventually upgrade this way to a full Herms system with keggles. I never thought I'd have these bad boys. And I'm damn near my Herms goal. I feel at this rate, I could end up dealing my way into owning a brewery in 5 years haha

image.jpg

This... This makes me a homebrewer. I can't wait to convert this into an Electric Herms system. If you can't tell, I'm super excited!

Gotta love Craig's list! Not bad for $430 total that includes the false bottom for the 20gal and a hop blocker came with the 15 gallon

The best part of this is for just over a year I've been wheeling and dealing homebrewing equipment off Craig's list. I'll see something cheap that I can fix, modify or simply turn over. I'll swing in and buy it. Then keep what I need and resell the rest for a profit. So I've been upgrading slowly this way.

I probably have no out of pocket money invested in these pots.

For example I bought a lot of gear from a guy for $200. It came with ball lock kegs, carboys, immersion chiller (a nice professional one) a keggle... Etc. I sold the keggle for $150 then the chiller for $100 then kept the ball locks and profited $50 and the other gear.

I'd buy carboys for $10 and resell for $25/30. I would get sankey kegs for $25 and resell for $50... Etc.

It's been fun, but a lot of work.... I've met some crazies and I've met some awesome people. One guy was an actor from LA. I IMDBed him. He was in quite a few things. They all had their stories and different brewing goals.

When I started doing this, my goal was to eventually upgrade this way to a full Herms system with keggles. I never thought I'd have these bad boys. And I'm damn near my Herms goal. I feel at this rate, I could end up dealing my way into owning a brewery in 5 years haha

You should start your own used brew equipment store. Serious. You have a knack for finding bargains and turning them over. There must be a niche market for used gear.

You should start your own used brew equipment store. Serious. You have a knack for finding bargains and turning them over. There must be a niche market for used gear.

Ya I kind of thought of it, but there is overhead... Etc. plus I'm a full time student right now. I basically have a used equipment store in my basement lol.

Well I have far less than I did since I sold several hundred dollars of gear over the last week - I was working on getting a pump, but came across that 15 gallon boilermaker. I had to jump on it.

If anything, I'd do a LHBS and do this as part of it. The only issue is Portland area has a lot of shops as it is.

If only ideas were money, I'd be a millionaire.

When your wife sees you sketching something on a cocktail napkin and say "what are you going to build now and will I be able to park my car in the garage?" I was thinking about trying to build a brew stand out of old metal bed frames.

I was thinking about trying to build a brew stand out of old metal bed frames.

I've seen it done... I have about 5 of those gorilla shelving units all taken apart. I'm going to get some nuts and bolts and make a weldless stand out of them. I figured a grinder and bolts should do the trick.

When your wife sees you sketching something on a cocktail napkin and say "what are you going to build now and will I be able to park my car in the garage?" I was thinking about trying to build a brew stand out of old metal bed frames.

When your wife realized years ago that she was never going to be able to park a car in the garage again--because of the ever expanding collection of carboys, kettles, kegs and other equipment.

When you're so busy with other things & you're out of hot water. But you soldger on anyway & scrub 36 dirty bottles to have done with it in time to order more makins' & get the car fixed...:mug::ban:

My girlfriends ain't tells you she tried your gingerbread ale and starts saying how horrible it was and that she almost threw up and many more rude comments then I noticed she only drinks micalobe ultra and let it go

..... when the 1st thing you do after power comes back on after 100 hours, is check the SG on your dopplebock, and add gelatin to your belgian blonde.
3 days later I bottled the belgian and racked the dopplebock for lagering. And then brewed my 1st of 2014.
Obsession, thy middle name is homebrewing.......

When after a cruddy day at work, you come home to put a little positive energy back in your life by bottling your latest batch of an awesome hard cider.

...when you've been researching & writing more of your book all day about a home brewer stuck in a dystopian world,then kick back on here with home brews & vodka.:rockin:

...when you find yourself brewing in your dreams. I woke up last night from a dream where I was brewing in my garage on the new equipment I've been putting together in my head. How disappointing to wake up from that. The good news is that everything seemed to go well with the new setup. :) Guess I'm officially obsessed.

When you secretly judge people who drink commercial brews directly out of a bottle.

oh we are not supposed to do that...

Over at my grandma's house, my family kept looking at me funny for drinking a stout out of a wine glass (the first option were kids water cups). Am I not supposed to do that as well? :mug:

Back