Clear Fermentation buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mymbtheduke

Reaction score
Why can't some one make a clear fermentation bucket? I have a carboy as well as several buckets but hate it. Takes longer to clean and is much heavier than a bucket. I like to watch it ferment though so why don't we have clear buckets?

Just curious.

You can also replace the bucket lid with a rounded sheet of plexiglass/lexan. Drill it for a grommett and airlock and just lay it over the top.

You can also replace the bucket lid with a rounded sheet of plexiglass/lexan. Drill it for a grommett and airlock and just lay it over the top.

Or even do this to a better bottle which you have chopped the top off of. POOF, 5 gallon clear plastic bucket!

There are clear poly carboys I think made from PET or some other very durable polymer

My guess would be strength. PET is much more brittle than HDPE. A PET carboy has no point failure point, since you lift it from below, but a bucket has those two points where the handle attaches, and it flexes inwards at the handle connection point. The points would be prone to cracking due to the force of lifting up the bucket, and the bucket walls could crack when it flexes as you lift. Also, the act of snapping a lid on is somewhat violent, and again, PET is brittle.

Yep, 6 gallon BetterBottle, ported with the racking fitting ...love it. I just throw the black Raiders jacket over it but it's already inside a wine cooler fridge so it's already pretty low light.

My guess would be strength. PET is much more brittle than HDPE. A PET carboy has no point failure point, since you lift it from below, but a bucket has those two points where the handle attaches, and it flexes inwards at the handle connection point. The points would be prone to cracking due to the force of lifting up the bucket, and the bucket walls could crack when it flexes as you lift. Also, the act of snapping a lid on is somewhat violent, and again, PET is brittle.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of that.

Back