My first Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
My first brew seems to be coming along nicely, I did a Bavarian Hefeweizen LME kit 1 week from today. I opened up the fermentation chest freezer to get a sample, because I just couldn't wait any longer as the excitement of the new hobby is getting the best of me. I made sure to sanitize everything meticulously before and after opening the lid and getting a sample with the turkey baster.

It came out looking fantastic in color and the flavor was amazing. I've had it set at 65F since pitching the yeast on brew day and the cclove/banana flavor balance is awesome, maybe just a tad too spicy I'm assuming this is clove? I also noticed there was no krausen on top is that normal 7 days in? I've been using a blow off tube the whole time and haven't seen krausen come into that since day 1. (I'm using a 7.8 gallon bucket. I plan on waiting one more week then getting my gravity readings, is that too long?

My first brew seems to be coming along nicely, I did a Bavarian Hefeweizen LME kit 1 week from today. I opened up the fermentation chest freezer to get a sample, because I just couldn't wait any longer as the excitement of the new hobby is getting the best of me. I made sure to sanitize everything meticulously before and after opening the lid and getting a sample with the turkey baster.

It came out looking fantastic in color and the flavor was amazing. I've had it set at 65F since pitching the yeast on brew day and the cclove/banana flavor balance is awesome, maybe just a tad too spicy I'm assuming this is clove? I also noticed there was no krausen on top is that normal 7 days in? I've been using a blow off tube the whole time and haven't seen krausen come into that since day 1. (I'm using a 7.8 gallon bucket. I plan on waiting one more week then getting my gravity readings, is that too long?

Your right on track, in a week the krausen can form and drop out. Very normal. and waiting another week(2 total) is perfect. I usually do not touch my beers for 2 weeks, not even for samples.

Back