really happy going AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
brewed my 4th all grain yesterday, while still trying to dial down my eff problems (this happened to be crushed by the LHBS, i normally use my barley crusher). i was mid 60's on my eff.

but while the wort was boiling, i finally was able to try my first AG, it was a AHS kit, IPA i believe. it was really good, there is a difference in taste from extract. so much better in fact that i have about 20 extract beers left, that i dont want to drink because the AG is so much better!

overall, i'm happy i jumped to AG after 2+ years of extract.

Put those extract beers under the stairs.....forget about them for a good long while! Even if they suck....It'll be good for the sentimental value of remembering the extract days.

We all have close friends who like our homebrew. But it never fails they tell their friends who in turn want some too. Well, that is who you give the extract brews to. Keep the awesome AGs for yourself.

Some of the people who you serve beer to don't realize what effort goes into it and abuse the privilage. I have told several that this stuff costs plenty and so does my time and if they continue to abuse. I ask them to go or at least "Go brew some of your own so I can come over" if they want more than a few. Don't get me wrong, I give a lot of it away but habitual drunks are not what my beers were brewed for.

Some guys can make excellent beer from extract...to the extent you won't know its not AG.

I'm not one of those guys...so I stick to AG, sometimes doing 3gallon batches on my stove in the dead of winter just to get my brew on.

I went AG on batch #3, my first two batches were OK but I know it was because I didn't know what I was doing then and not because AG is somehow entirely superior... A fellow homebrewer in the club here has done 96 extract + PM batches, and his beer is far better than any of my AGs so far.

Back