Many questions: New brew "bite", Wine Thief, Firestone Walker Double Jack Recipe Q's!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnmeyers

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm working on my first brew--I got a morebeer kit, and it came with a blonde ale. I'm at day 8 of my fermentation and the kreusen has mostly fallen. I'm loving the experience, and really learning a lot!

OG was 1.052, and now it's about 1.012. So by my math it's about 5.1% abv. Estimated OG was supposed to be 1.044-1.048 as per the kit: Is my OG a little bit high because I didn't add enough water? I pulled the grains at about 180 degrees instead of the recipes stated 170 degrees, did I add some sugars that way?

Right now, the beer has a "bite" to it, and frankly, tastes kind of like it is an 8-9% abv poorly finished brew. Tastes super yeasty, and not very hoppy. It also almost gives me a sense of carbonation--sort of hard to distinguish from perhaps a tangy flavor--infection with a acetic acid producer??? Not sure if I can describe it well. Anyways, a blonde ale probably wouldn't be my favorite beer to begin with, so maybe I'm being over critical? I know that beers condition and change dramatically, and am going to bottle this guy and see what happens no matter what but... this leads me to my next Q:

While boiling on brew day, my kettle was boiling and bubbling to the point that it seemed all the hops were getting stuck to the sides of the kettle--is it likely that I got less alpha acid isomerization/hop flavor due to this? I tried to scrape the hops back in to the kettle, but it seemed like the majority of it spent time outside the boil rather than in it. I guess a little less heat next time?

More Q's: It seems that my wine thief is a little narrow--my hydrometer "sticks" to it, it's hard to keep perfectly vertical, and then the foam at the top makes it hard to read. Is the turkey baster + cylinder method really the best way to do this? Is there a method that drips less?

Also, my (thus far) all time favorite beer is a Firestone Walker Double Jack Double IPA. I would LOVE to brew this beer, but am a little nervous about giving it a shot as my second brew ever. Would anyone be willing to convert this recipe into an extract/partial boil recipe? http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/11/ipa-clone-series-firestone-walker.html Or link me to an explanation on how to do it myself? I would LOVE to have a stockpile of cloned Firestone Walker Double Jack. The stuff is incredible.

OK, thank you all!

johnmeyers said:
Hey all!

I'm working on my first brew--I got a morebeer kit, and it came with a blonde ale. I'm at day 8 of my fermentation and the kreusen has mostly fallen. I'm loving the experience, and really learning a lot!

OG was 1.052, and now it's about 1.012. So by my math it's about 5.1% abv. Estimated OG was supposed to be 1.044-1.048 as per the kit: Is my OG a little bit high because I didn't add enough water? I pulled the grains at about 180 degrees instead of the recipes stated 170 degrees, did I add some sugars that way?

Right now, the beer has a "bite" to it, and frankly, tastes kind of like it is an 8-9% abv poorly finished brew. Tastes super yeasty, and not very hoppy. It also almost gives me a sense of carbonation--sort of hard to distinguish from perhaps a tangy flavor--infection with a acetic acid producer??? Not sure if I can describe it well. Anyways, a blonde ale probably wouldn't be my favorite beer to begin with, so maybe I'm being over critical? I know that beers condition and change dramatically, and am going to bottle this guy and see what happens no matter what but... this leads me to my next Q:

While boiling on brew day, my kettle was boiling and bubbling to the point that it seemed all the hops were getting stuck to the sides of the kettle--is it likely that I got less alpha acid isomerization/hop flavor due to this? I tried to scrape the hops back in to the kettle, but it seemed like the majority of it spent time outside the boil rather than in it. I guess a little less heat next time?

More Q's: It seems that my wine thief is a little narrow--my hydrometer "sticks" to it, it's hard to keep perfectly vertical, and then the foam at the top makes it hard to read. Is the turkey baster + cylinder method really the best way to do this? Is there a method that drips less?

Also, my (thus far) all time favorite beer is a Firestone Walker Double Jack Double IPA. I would LOVE to brew this beer, but am a little nervous about giving it a shot as my second brew ever. Would anyone be willing to convert this recipe into an extract/partial boil recipe? http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/11/ipa-clone-series-firestone-walker.html Or link me to an explanation on how to do it myself? I would LOVE to have a stockpile of cloned Firestone Walker Double Jack. The stuff is incredible.

OK, thank you all!

I don't know how much water you added, so I can't comment on your OG, but you are probably right. If you added all the extract, don't worry about it.

Don't worry about the hop gunk on the sides of the kettle. Most was in the boil, even if it looked like a lot was on the sides. Use a little less heat...keep the boil rolling, but don't turn it up higher than that.

My thief works great as a sample tube, but apparently mine is different. Maybe you could get a thinner hydrometer? And if your thief leaks, give it one good shake (same motion you use to pull a sample). This should reseat the valve and seal it better.

As far as your recipe, I can't tell you exactly what to do, but a while ago I searched for converting all grain to extract and found the following:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf

A further search may yield better results, but I liked this. It's a little old, but I thought useful.

Let that blonde ale sit for at least another week or two before you rack it to a bottling bucket. This will allow the yeast to clean up after themselves and drop out of suspension.

Back