Carbonating Correctly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dinbin

Reaction score
OK, Ive loked around the boards and have yet to find a simple answer for this one. How do I know if my HB is carbonating in the bottle? Aside from cracking one open and seeing whats what. Ive had my first batch in the bottle for a week now, and have pulled a bottle out of the closet a couple times just to see how the floaties are settling. I have a nice layer of settiment on the bottum of the bottle, but how do I know the yeast is actualy working? I primmed with three quarters of a cup of corn sugar, per recipie, but I'm a bit nervous that everything is going the way it should. Any tips, or am I just being a worrisome noob?

Patience is all that it takes. RDWHAHB. I'd try one at 2 weeks, then 1 more at 3 weeks. You'll see and taste a difference.

You're right. There is no real way to tell without cracking one open.

Of course, if you follow all the proven steps: cap, let sit for 3 weeks at about 70F then chill, crack one open...you're bound to have success. ;)

Yep....only way to tell is to open one up. I was exactly like you the first couple batches. The longer you wait, the better it is. There was a huge difference on the last wheat brew I did. I couldnt wait and chilled one and opened at 2 weeks. Good but the one that was left for 4-5 weeks was much much better. Better carbonation / taste.

Thats when you need 2 batches staggered. Drink one while the other is aging. Then rotate so you always have one ready to go.

God the hobby is addicting.:mug:

That sediment layer you see is partially due to yeast fermenting your priming sugar. A small yeast cake similar to the one at the bottom of your primary is building in each bottle. So that's a promising sign!

Brad, is it just the hobby that's addicting? :D
Been talking up the benefits of brewing every weekend and I think my wife is finally going for it. I don't want to buy beer any more, just DME and hops! :rockin:

The first one is the hardest batch to wait for.

But once you get past that and have a few going at a time, the 3 weeks will go by in no time :)

thanks for the support guys. Ive set the countdown for next week. Ill be sure to tip one for you all for the help. :)

Dinbin said:
thanks for the support guys. Ive set the countdown for next week. Ill be sure to tip one for you all for the help. :)
Thanks, but why not send a few bottles instead? :mug:

Back