Wine Making, 1st time...have tons of concord grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeOfLife72

Reaction score
Hello -

This will be our first time making wine.
I've been browsing through sites...there are so many!!!!!

I don't know if this is a simple questions...
but can someone list the things I need to buy and an easy way to get started please? My head is spinning from internet searching and I havn't even had any wine...lol

I'd like to get ingrediants, a simple kit together...and know how to get the grapes ready. It seems like they'll need to be picked soon...so I kinda need to get on this... THANKS!!! :) I'd like to keep it "easy" and get the right stuff so we can do this year after year and get better. There are a lot of grapes and next year there will be more.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't pick the grapes until you have tested the sugar content with a hydrometer or refractometer. Don't just test one berry or one bunch, try to get 100 berries from different bunches. you want to wait till the brix gets to at least 18, preferably over 20.
I think concord is treated like a white wine - fermented without skins so you need to borrow/buy/make a press, and get fermenters eg glass carboys.

Ok, this is kind of a big question but after 7-8 years of making wine (I still consider myself learning) I can give you some generic information. I always make my wine from California grapes but I suspect Concords are the same.

You'll need a crusher/destemer that you can either buy or rent from a local wine/beer supply store and obviously you'll need a container for all that juice and grape skins to go in. I use a plastic bucket for this step and for the primary fermentation. You're going to need to get some decent dry wine yeast, potassium metebisulfite, a racking device (for siphoning from one container to another) and a second container that will hold the juice only in the secondary fermentation process. When going from primary to secondary, you will usually press the grapes which you can rent from a local wine shop.

That should get you started. I would read "The Way To Make Wine" by Warick Sheridan as it deals a lot with actual grapes and hopefully some of the resident experts from this site will chime in. Welcome and I think you will find that the people on this site are not snobs and very helpful.

I guess I just do it the "redneck way", as I make tons of wine buy have no crusher or destemmer.

I just pick the grapes when completely ripe and then smash them up well. It's easiest if you freeze the fruit first. Then, I add campden (sulfites) tablets, one tablet per gallon. I use catawba grapes, usually, as that is what we have available to us. Since they don't have much sugar, and they are pretty acidic, I use sugar to boost up the fermentables, and water to dilute some of the acid. I use 7 pounds of these grapes per gallon of water, and use water to make up the rest of the juice and use sugar to get to an original gravity of 1.095. This grape has a green flesh, but I ferment on the skins a few days so it ends up blush colored. I don't have a press, either, so I ferment them in big sanitized mesh bags, then after 5 days I pull out the mesh bag and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze. It's far less efficient than having a press, but it works!

Here is a great place to start on using native grapes for winemaking: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/natives.asp
and for basics: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/basics.asp

When I first started making wine my daughter was little and she loved to squish the grapes with her feet. If you treat these grapes as white wine grapes, you could squeeze the grapes then pour them through a cheese cloth or some other strainer and just ferment the juice. I think Yooper has some good ideas though and I'm not sure how I forgot Jack Keller, I still visit that page all the time.

Lots of good info thanks!!!
My boyfriend bought 10 acres of land and it happened to have all these old concord grape vines, they are in great shape!
So....after cleaning them up this year, we thought we'd try our hand at wine making - lol.
I read the jack keller site....and printed a bunch of it...and a few others...I don't have that book...

wow.......i'm overwhelmed at the moment! LOL
but its probably one of those...once you do it...kinda things. :)

would you go with a $20 1 gallon kit
http://www.makeyourownathome.com/index.php/product-details/1-gallon-wine-making-kit

or a $67 5 gallon kit
http://www.makeyourownathome.com/index.php/product-details/5-gallon-wine-makers-kit

6 gallon kit $73
http://www.makeyourownathome.com/index.php/product-details/6-gallon-wine-makers-kit

Also, what about cleaning and freezing the grapes in those sealed bags? Will I lose a lot of the sugar? Whats the best process...just simple, clean and freeze...or should I be doing something else too?

THANKS SO VERY VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!

The size of the kit would depend on the amount of grapes. You would need about 85-90 lbs to equal about five gallons of wine. The 6 gallon kits are handy if you want to venture off and make a wine kit from WineExpert or RJ Spagnols. I think the way Yooper does it is with a mesh bag.

A lot has been bandied about over the years regarding Concord for winemaking. There are a few things to keep in mind -- to reduce the "foxy" nature of Concords, limit contact time on the skins. gregbathurst mentions treating like a white wine, i.e., press the grapes immediately and ferment without the skins, and that is certainly one way to do it better. My experience is to put all the crushed grapes into a poly or nylon mesh bag (check out Williams Brewing, ECKraus, all the other supply houses and especially your local suppliers), and begin fermentation, but taking the pulp/bag out after only about 18-24 hours max. There's a LOT of good flavor, fair to excellent tannins, and amazing color in those skins and I like to treat it like paint on a canvas, except that the canvas is the wine. It can be useful, but too much and it's not good. Anyways, use pectic enzyme (follow Yooper's recipe schedule for this type wine for campden, pectic, etc, and yeast additions). I don't always add sugar, but I do always have to adjust for acids. If you're going to add water to dilute the acid content, you'll have to add sugar afterward to get to the desired sugar level. What I'm doing more and more (and based on the results, I think I'll do from now on) is this: Take out a portion of the juice/must, once I know what the titratable acid level is, and use calcium carbonate to reduce that portion to well below what I'm looking for and then add it back to the whole. For example, if I'm shooting for 6-8 or even as much as 10 or so g/l, and the must/juice is over 20g/l (some years, even more - a LOT more!), I'll bring the portion to be adjusted down to almost nothing and then add it back, wait awhile for it to stabilize, take another reading, keep this up until it's right. So far, to me, it's trial and error. Eventually it gets right. I hope that I learn along the way just what works and that I can make it repeatable and predictable. I don't adjust the whole batch at once for the reason that it seems harder to manage getting to and keeping the right acid level with a larger amount all at once. Also, it's important to keep an eye on pH; you don't want it going too high or too low. And, adjusting it this way, at the beginning before ferment, seems to give better long-term results than trying to adjust the finished wine's acid levels with potassium bicarb - although there's nothing wrong with doing it at the end, it just seems to suit Concords better this way.

Doing it this way, FOR ME, seems to give a better finished wine. Sometimes the sugar is low, and sometimes I'll add sugar to bring it up, sometimes I don't and I just let it finish to dry and have a lower ABV. It won't keep as long, but having a lower ABV makes it drinkable sooner anyhow. Other than adjusting the acids, the fewer things done to it, the more of its better features come through and the fewer of its not so desirable features ever make it into the wine.

Here are a couple of links that I've posted before, they're not "the answer" but they are helpful in understanding better what Concords can and do offer --

http://www.winemakermag.com/stories...rietalswine-styles/218-concord-varietal-focus

http://fastgrowtheweeds.com/2008/02/05/a-drinkable-concord-grape-wine/

Best wishes to you, you've got a lot of grapes and hopefully a lot of years ahead to make a lot of wine. Experiment, have fun, and enjoy! Along the way you'll likely branch (pun intended) out into wine grapes, but Concord is something that'll always stick with you, especially when you find the best way for YOUR vines to be made into pretty darn good wines.

- Tim

OOOO - thanks for all that awesome info! :)
Well, I was looking at a few different website, recipes...some said with concord add water, some said you don't need any...there were so many variables in all of the areas! LOL I was so confused but had a ton of grapes that needed to be used...and there are still tons on the vines (froze 7 huge bags too).
I regret now that I didn't take the skins, seeds...so on out before I added the yeast to ferment, sounds like maybe I should have....

So far...
9/3
smooshed grapes in a 5gal bucket, left everything in there
added: potassium meta. (store was out of tabs), pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, and SOME sugar.
9/4
24 hours later...pitched and added champagne yeast packet...stirred.

now it says it sits for 1-2 weeks...when the bubbling (which hasnt started yet) slows/stops. is that right?

who knows what i'm going to get....oh my! :)

stirring:
how often do I have to do this? The lid is hard to get off! LOL

hydrometer:
when to check? i wasn't successful at this....lol

secondary:
was planning to syphon off into secondary after fermenting is done...2 times...then bottle??

thanks so much, i'm going to check those websites out.
i'm a teacher...feel like a chemist...lol...so i'm busy strating up a new school year in a different grade level...so any help is appreciated!!!!!

thanks!!!! :)

You've going to have to separate the grapes from the liquid before too long- like in the next couple of days! You may want to go get a big mesh bag and line a second bucket with it. You can pour the wine into the new bucket and then lift out the mesh bag and squeeze out the grapes. Otherwise, I don't know how you'll separate the grapes from the juice. You want to do this before fermentation proceeds much more.

Stir at least two times per day, to break up the "cap" that forms. This is easiest if you don't use an airlock and lid- just a towel over the fermenter to keep out fruitflies. If you don't have any fruitflies around, you can set the lid on top of the fermenter without snapping it down, that way it's easier to remove.

You want to move the wine to a carboy once fermentation slows down, and stop stirring then. That will be when the wine is below 1.010 or so.

You can take a hydrometer reading at about day 5, and move it to the carboy then. It'll be hard to get a reading with all that loose "stuff", so you can do it once you strain out the solids.

Once you move it to the carboy, later this week, you can top up to the bung. Let it sit about 3-4 weeks or so, and you'll notice a ton of crud on the bottom called "lees". Rack off of those lees, and top up again. The next racking will only be after 45-60 days and only if you have lees 1/4" thick or so. The wine will be ready to bottle when no new lees fall after at least 60 days and the wine is clear.

OOOOO boy, sounds like it is a good thing I posted. I'll need to go get another bucket somewhere (needed to anyways for secondary at some point).
I'll strain it in a couple days then.

So.......I have a food grade 5 gal bucket with an airlock on top.
I don't have to snap that bucket closed then? WOW, that would be great....I can't open it myself! No fruit flies, thank goodness!

ps - am i going to lose my yeast or anything when i strain before fermentation finishes?
also........what's your take on adding water?

Thanks again gurus! :)

OOOOO boy, sounds like it is a good thing I posted. I'll need to go get another bucket somewhere (needed to anyways for secondary at some point).
I'll strain it in a couple days then.

So.......I have a food grade 5 gal bucket with an airlock on top.
I don't have to snap that bucket closed then? WOW, that would be great....I can't open it myself! No fruit flies, thank goodness!

ps - am i going to lose my yeast or anything when i strain before fermentation finishes?
also........what's your take on adding water?

Thanks again gurus! :)

You need a CARBOY for a secondary, not a bucket! The wide headspace is great for primary, but once fermentation slows down, it has to go in a carboy.

You don't have to close the bucket tight- oxygen is good for the wine and you need to stir it anyway, so just make sure it's covered away from insects and stuff.

You don't need to add more yeast- the yeast are microscopic and will be in the liquid also when you remove the grapes.

You can add water if the wine is really acidic when it's done, but if your gravity reading was ok you probably won't want to add more water later except to top up the carboy.

THANKS so much!!!! i understand a lot more now with your help. I hope I'm not sounding like a blundering bafoon...lol...I think I read TOO much and jumbled it all up...but I'm getting there. So glad (for stirring purposes) that this doesn't have to be sealed.
:)
I'll buy a carboy and mesh bag and get on the straining. sounds messy! LOL

Hello Everyone....
So, we have been fermenting for a little over 2 weeks. The bubbles are few...the taste is good.
But, when I used the hydrometer...my alcohol content came up as only 5%....????

Why are things so different that you read on this...
Some say it is ok to leave the lid loose, some say put it on tight so the airlock bubbles...
Some say to add this and not that...
I feel like there are many ways to do this.

Is there a way to raise my alcohol content? Should my fermentation process be stopped...?

HELP please...I would love this to turn out........thanks......

Hello Everyone....
So, we have been fermenting for a little over 2 weeks. The bubbles are few...the taste is good.
But, when I used the hydrometer...my alcohol content came up as only 5%....????

Why are things so different that you read on this...
Some say it is ok to leave the lid loose, some say put it on tight so the airlock bubbles...
Some say to add this and not that...
I feel like there are many ways to do this.

Is there a way to raise my alcohol content? Should my fermentation process be stopped...?

HELP please...I would love this to turn out........thanks......
To clear it up a little for you durring primary fermentation the lid can be loose to allow oxygen in for the yeast, it's healthy for them. During secondary (after the fermentation slows) oxygen is bad and will ruin your wine. Not to mention after the yeast settles down mold is easy to get and other bad guys can get in easy. So during secondary you want a Carboy with a proper airlock. You are correct in thinking there are many methods of making wine but you can not be steered wrong if you listen to Yopper, that's how I started and now I'm planting a vineyard :)
Edit : you can always add sugar to boost the abv BUT be careful because adding sugar will cause it to foam like crazy ( something about knocking co2 out of suspension) if you do add sugar add about a LB or so. Next time (if you didn't) check your gravity is at 1.100 and that should get a good abv with a dry wine yeast.

Back