A few standard measuring questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm in the UK, and know that UK gallons are different to US gallons. I assume most the 5gal recepes I find are 5 US gallons?

Also, Ive been searching for recipes on UK sites, am i right to assumes these are UK imperial gallons?

Another question, I'm currently looking for a stock pot to move to all grain, but in the UK i can only find them sized in litres and Quarts(sp?). Im looking for a 6-7 gal pot for 5 gal batches, how many litres/quarts is that?

Cheers

It's all here and prob a bunch of other places. Found it by typing 'conversion' in google.

Google has a units calculator built in. If you Google "1 gallon to quart" (or pretty much any other conversion) Google will return "1 US gallon = 4 US quarts" before the search results.

Doesn't have to be 1, either; you can actually use it to do your conversions. For instance, googling ".75 oz to g" returns ".75 ounces = 21.2621423 grams" before the search results.

5 US Gallons is 19L. You would want a 24 - 28 L pot to make a "5 gallon" batch.

Use the website that SpanishCastleAle gave, but for quick reference, 1 USG ~ 3¾ Litres.

1 real Gallon is 4½ litres.

When with the United States wake up and realize they, along with Myanmar, are the only ones who do NOT use the Metric system?

I think we should stop trade with them until they start using the same measuring system as the rest of the world. <off soap box>

(just pissed off as I have to use inches and millimetres interchangeably in my job as I ship to Europe, Canada and the US).

EDIT: LMAO V

Google has a units calculator built in. If you Google "1 gallon to quart" (or pretty much any other conversion) Google will return "1 US gallon = 4 US quarts" before the search results.

Doesn't have to be 1, either; you can actually use it to do your conversions. For instance, googling ".75 oz to g" returns ".75 ounces = 21.2621423 grams" before the search results.
Yea but does it have a BAC and a Chinese Zodiac calculator?:D

EDIT: Vuarra I agree about the metric system. It's Myanmar's fault tho.

Back