Smaller batches in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veggiess

Reaction score
I was wondering how small a batch of cider/beer I can brew in my primary? It's a 6.6 gal bucket and I usually brew 5-6 gal. I am interesting in trying cider or some flavored beer, but don't know if I want 5 gal at a time. I am worried if I do something too small it won't ferment properly and have enough pressure to push out the airlock. Any ideas? I've heard of trying a small Mr. Beer keg, but I can't get one right now. Thanks!:mug:

I don't see any problem there. If there is CO2 produced, then a blanket will form quickly and the air will be displaced to the top of the fermenter. eventuaally it will come out through the airlock. not a problem in my opinion.

now, the secondary may be different. Usually there is some amount of co2 coming out just after racking mainly due to disolved c02 that is being liberated bacause of the agitation of the beer. that would also produce a blanket. My concern would be that if there is a drop in temperature, even a cuple of degrees, some of the co2 will redisolve and you may loose the blanket.

but in the primary, with the amount of co2 produced... that shouldn't be a problem at all.

I disagree, always make full batches, for better or worse, it takes the same amount of time and not alot more money.....

Use the 'aquarium logic': If something bad is going to happen, it's harder with more liquid!

Well, a little more money, but I don't know that I want 5 or 6 gallons of cider or pumpkin beer... especially since I'm limited on bottles and space to store them. :eek:

Spyk'd said:
I disagree, always make full batches, for better or worse, it takes the same amount of time and not alot more money.....

Use the 'aquarium logic': If something bad is going to happen, it's harder with more liquid!
Don't get me wrong:
I am not advising in favor of small batches.
The question was: can I do a small batch? will I have prpblems with the head space?
and I said no in the primary. maybe yes in the secondary.

second thing:
I am not saying do not use a secondary, just use a smaller one if you have one.

good luck!:)

Back