Schwarzbier Black Magic Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usfmikeb

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Fermentis S-23
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Fermentis S-23
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 Days @ 50F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 Days @ 60F
Additional Fermentation
4 Weeks @ 34F
Tasting Notes
Very rich flavor, light roastiness, aroma almost like a root beer
I was very happy with this, and it's about to become my house lager. When I first kegged it, I was thinking that it might be short on chocolate malt. However, after carbing up, it is just right. A very light roast flavor, but still has that crisp tendency of a lager. Big mouthfeel, might try mashing a couple degrees lower next time. I'm thinking that the dark malt combination here might be right for a Black IPA, and I'll be trying that in the near future

8 lbs Munich
8 ozs Carafa III
4 ozs Cararoma
2 ozs Chocolate Wheat
2 ozs Chocolate Malt

60 min mash @ 152F
10 min mashout @ 168F

1.75 ozs Spalt @ 60 mins
0.25 ozs Spalt @ 10 mins

2 packs Fermentis SafLager S-23 sprinkled onto wort @ 48F

~5 days @ 50F
@ 1.015 increase to 60F
1 week @ 60F
4 weeks @ 34F

Two weeks later, and the keg is just about kicked. We've got some people coming over to do a beer tasting on Friday, so I'm shutting the tap down until then.

I'm in an ale cycle right now, but will be brewing up 10-15 gallons of this once that cycle is complete and I can use my ferm chamber at lager temps.

The keg lasted three weeks, only because I slowed down trying to make it last for the group that was coming over. I'm still in my ale cycle, and can't wait to get back to lagering!

Here is a converted Partial mash that I came up with based on what my LHBS carries in stock. Brewers friend has it predicted as a bit dark for the style, but other than that, right on the numbers. I will be picking up the supplies and brewing it up this weekend.

All-Grain - Black Magic Lager (With conversions for parital mash)________________________________________
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Fermentis S-23
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Fermentis S-23
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.049(1.046)
Final Gravity: 1.010(1.012)
IBU: 25.8 (14.76)
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90(60)
Color: 29.4 (30.98)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 Days @ 50F
Additional Fermentation: 4 Weeks @ 34F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 Days @ 60F
Tasting Notes: Very rich flavor, light roastiness, aroma almost like a root beer

I was very happy with this, and it's about to become my house lager. When I first kegged it, I was thinking that it might be short on chocolate malt. However, after carbing up, it is just right. A very light roast flavor, but still has that crisp tendency of a lager. Big mouthfeel, might try mashing a couple degrees lower next time. I'm thinking that the dark malt combination here might be right for a Black IPA, and I'll be trying that in the near future

8 lbs Munich (7 lbs amber LME)
8 ozs Carafa III(black patent)
4 ozs Cararoma(crystal 120L)
2 ozs Chocolate Wheat(chocolate wheat)
2 ozs Chocolate Malt (Chocolate malt)

60 min mash @ 152F
10 min mashout @ 168F

1.75 ozs Spalt @ 60 mins (czh Saaz)
0.25 ozs Spalt @ 10 mins (czh Saaz)

2 packs Fermentis SafLager S-23 sprinkled onto wort @ 48F
WYEAST 2035- Am Lager
~5 days @ 50F
@ 1.015 increase to 60F
1 week @ 60F
4 weeks @ 34F

I picked up the supplies for my version of this yesterday and just finished brewing it up. Here is what I finially setteled upon (On what the LHBS had in stock)

7# amber LME
8 oz Black Patent
4 oz crystal 120
2 oz chocolate malt
2 oz chocolate wheat
1.5 oz czh saaz
.5 oz czh saaz
2X WYEAST 2007 pils lager yeast.

Steep grains for 60 min at 150 deg for 60 min in 1.5 gal water.
Add LME + water to make 2 gal and bring to boil.
Add 1.5 oz czh saaz and boil for 60 min.
add .5 oz czh saaz for last 10 min.

Add wort to 3.25 gal heavily iced water in fermentor. Brought wort temp down to 50 deg. Piched 2 smack packs of WYEAST 2007 Pils lager yeast.
(LHBS was out of 2035)

OG was 1.058.

Placed fermentor in unheated basement. will let sit for 10-14 days and then transfer to garage fridge for 4 weeks.:mug:

Heres to what is shall be.

Replacing Cararoma with C 120 will change the flavor, but it should still be tasty!

I drew a sample this afternoon. I think it's going to be tasty. If you have ever had Full Sail Limited edition lager #6, "Black Bock", it is quite similar to that. The dark roast is quite prevalent, but not overbearing. It should be transferred to lager next week.:D:beer:

Sent from my ADR6350 using Home Brew mobile app

Back